Re: [OAUTH-WG] Mail regarding draft-ietf-oauth-dyn-reg

Torsten Lodderstedt <torsten@lodderstedt.net> Sun, 13 January 2013 17:28 UTC

From: Torsten Lodderstedt <torsten@lodderstedt.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 18:28:36 +0100
To: "Boone, Keith W (GE Healthcare)" <keith.boone@ge.com>
Cc: "oauth@ietf.org WG" <oauth@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] Mail regarding draft-ietf-oauth-dyn-reg

Hi Keith,

comment see below.

Am 10.01.2013 um 22:54 schrieb "Boone, Keith W (GE Healthcare)" <keith.boone@ge.com>:

> <snip>
>
> Imagine the case where I purchase an application and download it to my iPhone and to my iPad.  Then I connect that application to a data holder/authorizer combination it hasn't seen before.  Through dynamic client registration, I could register that application for my iPhone, but the instance of that same application running on my iPad would know nothing about the first registration.  So it would attempt to do it all over again.  What happens here?

Is this a problem? The user should be able the data she desires from both app, independent of the client id.

What do your want to achieve? I don't understand why different instances of an app need to be aware of each other. I would assume a user wants to access the same data from all those instances. But this is merely controlled by the user identity with the app.

I see two possible scenarios:

a) the app does not have an user management but relies on the user to setup the connection to a particular resource server. The user would do this on every device, i.e. every app instance would carry out the OAuth dance with the particular authorizer.

b) the app has their own user management. So the user would 1) register for an account and 2) connect this account to the resources managed by the authorizer. Assumption: the app has an backend and stores user data there. On the second device, the user has only to login using her app account and is done.

Regards,
Torsten.