Re: [OAUTH-WG] OAuth WG Re-Chartering

Mike Jones <Michael.Jones@microsoft.com> Thu, 22 March 2012 18:04 UTC

From: Mike Jones <Michael.Jones@microsoft.com>
To: Justin Richer <jricher@mitre.org>, "oauth@ietf.org" <oauth@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 18:04:28 +0000
x-originating-ip: [157.54.51.76]
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] OAuth WG Re-Chartering

I agree that a goal of any OAuth dynamic registration work should be that it can be extended to meet the requirements of the OpenID Connect use case.  I'm sure that extensions would be required, as the Connect registration spec intentionally has knowledge built into it that is specific to choices made in Connect.  For instance, it provides ways to specify requested signature and encryption algorithms for JWTs used as ID Tokens and for signing and/or encrypting UserInfo Endpoint responses; it allows requested Authentication Context Class References to be specified, etc.

If a generic OAuth dynamic registration spec can't be extended to meet these use case needs, that would be a clear failure.  Extensions would be needed because this more specific functionality would likely not be in the more generic, presumably token-type-agnostic OAuth spec.

Also, as a timing issue, I expect the OpenID Connect specs to be final before there's a complete OAuth dynamic registration spec, for what it's worth.

                                                            -- Mike