Re: [OAUTH-WG] treatment of client_id for authentication and identification

Eran Hammer-Lahav <eran@hueniverse.com> Wed, 27 July 2011 22:45 UTC

From: Eran Hammer-Lahav <eran@hueniverse.com>
To: Torsten Lodderstedt <torsten@lodderstedt.net>, Brian Campbell <bcampbell@pingidentity.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 15:45:18 -0700
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: oauth <oauth@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] treatment of client_id for authentication and identification

There is not clean way of adding it.

First where? In each flow of the token endpoint or just in 3.2? Then how is it defined? Optional? Required for public clients? How does it work alongside authentication? If you use client_password or Basic then it becomes authentication but otherwise identification? What about duplication between Basic and the parameter? It also means adding a new section discussing client authentication vs identification which is currently implicit.

I strongly believe that it is better to have a simple model as the one already defined in –20 and let other use case find their way around it instead of producing a confusing document that is trying to hard to solve every possible combination.

As I said before, we can tweak the definition of client_secret to make it more esthetically pleasing (the server doesn't mind having an empty parameter included, just people), but that's as far am I'm (as wg member) willing to support, especially at this point.

EHL