Re: [OAUTH-WG] Possible alternative resolution to issue 26

Buhake Sindi <buhake@googlemail.com> Fri, 30 September 2011 12:00 UTC

From: Buhake Sindi <buhake@googlemail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 14:03:30 +0200
To: Mike Jones <Michael.Jones@microsoft.com>
Cc: "oauth@ietf.org" <oauth@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] Possible alternative resolution to issue 26

Hi everyone,

As for encoding, my understanding is that the scope parameter were scope
fields provided by the service provider and that scope should match the
service provider scope. Fair enough, we could argue that non-UTF-8
characters can't be sent over HTTP response headers, so a better solution, I
would suggest is illustrated in section 4.2, Error Handling, of RFC 5987.

My solution: add an encoding as a value of the scope and error-desc,
followed by a colon (:) and then the percentage-encoded message.

So, the message, is first encoded to the encoding specified, and then
percentage-encoded:

Example:

error-descr="UTF-8: <percentage-encoded of an UTF-8 message>"

The client would then:

   1. Percentage decode the string and get the string based on the encoding.

Problem is though, the length of the string value.

Any thoughts?