Re: [OAUTH-WG] Requesting mutliple scope, but user authorizes not all

Igor Faynberg <igor.faynberg@alcatel-lucent.com> Fri, 26 November 2010 20:25 UTC

Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 15:26:45 -0500
From: Igor Faynberg <igor.faynberg@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: Eran Hammer-Lahav <eran@hueniverse.com>
Cc: "oauth@ietf.org" <oauth@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] Requesting mutliple scope, but user authorizes not all

In the context of Martin's question (which concerns end-users
understanding and resulting actions), I interpret the citation as
follows: The end-user has no control over the value of the "scope"
parameter, and, given that "it is defined by the authorization server,"
the end-user is not expected  even to understand this value. Granted, an
implementation can of course fix this specific issue, but the standard
does not address it.

Overall, I do tsee this is a drawback of 2.0, which needs to be fixed by
careful specification of the "scope" values in the future, but I know
that 2.0 needs to be out and that it has high-priority items (such as
security) to be dealt with right now. I don't want to delay 2.0 by
suggesting drastic changes in the design decisions, so I am not harping
on the seeming irrelevance of the end-user.

With the view of OAuth evolution though, I would like to see the whole
token standardized, with the end-user having the overall control of the
token--even if in the default situation it is still prepared by the
authorization server-- with the ability to assign or change (or both)
any value contained in it.

Igor