Re: [OAUTH-WG] Assertion Draft: Text about Interoperability -- Today

Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net> Sat, 19 January 2013 16:19 UTC

From: Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 18:19:03 +0200
To: Mike Jones <Michael.Jones@microsoft.com>
Cc: "Tschofenig, Hannes (NSN - FI/Espoo)" <hannes.tschofenig@nsn.com>, "oauth@ietf.org" <oauth@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] Assertion Draft: Text about Interoperability -- Today

Hi Mike, Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback. I see that a couple of you have decided to go with option 2.

Regarding the comments below.

On Jan 19, 2013, at 12:30 AM, Mike Jones wrote:

> I can't agree with proceeding with Hannes' rewrite of the interoperability text, as editorially, it reads like it is apologizing for a defect in the specification, whereas it is an intentional feature of the specification that the syntax and verification rules of some fields is intentionally left open for profiles to specify (even while the semantics of them is defined by the Assertions spec).  I propose that instead, we go with the revised version at the end of this message, which I believe incorporates Hannes' ideas while keeping the editorial tone positive.

I tried to provide an honest assessment of the situation with my writeup.

> Second, I believe that we should proceed with the non-normative terminology change of "Principal" to "Subject", which was proposed in http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/oauth/current/msg10530.html and supported by Justin and Torsten, with no one opposed.  This should go into the version being discussed on the telechat (as well as the interoperability text).

It would certainly make sense to re-submit a new version with this change and then we see how it reads. Now, since we have a bit more time that should not be an issue at all.

> Finally, I believe that it would be beneficial to all to have the Assertions and SAML Profile specs be discussed on the same telechat, as both are useful for understanding the other.  Frankly, I think they should go to the IETF Editor together as "related specifications", with the goal being consecutively numbered RFCs referencing one another.  Is there any reason we can't schedule both for the February 7th telechat?  (I don't actually understand how they failed to proceed in lock-step in the first place.  Chairs - any insights?)

It might be beneficial to have the two discussed together but the IESG has not done the reviews of the SAML assertion draft yet and therefore it is not on the agenda yet.

Ciao
Hannes