Re: [OAUTH-WG] Signature crypto

"Tschofenig, Hannes (NSN - FI/Espoo)" <hannes.tschofenig@nsn.com> Wed, 25 November 2009 16:16 UTC

Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 18:19:45 +0200
From: "Tschofenig, Hannes (NSN - FI/Espoo)" <hannes.tschofenig@nsn.com>
To: "ext Infinity Linden (Meadhbh Hamrick)" <infinity@lindenlab.com>, Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
Cc: oauth@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] Signature crypto

This case is interesting.

Until recently I have also thought that one has to specify a
mandatory-to-implement algorithm in a security protocol since otherwise
interoperability would really suffer. When working in KEYPROV I learned
through Russ Housley that this is actually not true.

He said:
"
Some specifications in the security area do not pick a mandatory to
implement algorithm.  RFC 5280 is one example.  Instead the companion
specifications tell what algorithm is appropriate for a particular
environment.
"

There are a few reasons why you often cannot agree on a specific
algorithm. Examples are different usage scenarios that demand a certain
algorithm, certain software packages that may or may not support certain
algorithms at a specific point in time, different performance/hardware
requirements, IPR concerns, etc.

In any case it is likely that the chosen algorithm will get replaced in
a few years from now and one does not want to update the specification
every time. Hence, having some form of crypto-agility is generally a
good idea since you might want to negotiate a set of algorithms anyway
and it is quite likely that an algorithm is found that both parties
support.

Ciao
Hannes