Re: [OAUTH-WG] Basic signature support in the core specification

Anthony Nadalin <tonynad@microsoft.com> Mon, 27 September 2010 17:10 UTC

From: Anthony Nadalin <tonynad@microsoft.com>
To: "igor.faynberg@alcatel-lucent.com" <igor.faynberg@alcatel-lucent.com>, Eve Maler <eve@xmlgrrl.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 17:11:09 +0000
x-originating-ip: [157.54.123.12]
Cc: OAuth WG <oauth@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] Basic signature support in the core specification

What is needed is needed is the security considerations section complete, I don't think that the signature specification has to be in the core to be complete, there are previsions to use SSL, if one needs to go beyond this then a reference to the signature specification would be in the security considerations section. The separation allows for an OAuth independent solution that would/could cover message and token encryption and signing. If signature is going to be an extension point why have any in the core? Already we would have questions from our customers on the use of HMAC-SHA1. According to Hannes the security considerations section is underway and will explain what signatures provide and what they do not provide and let the implementer choose what scenarios they are implementing for and the risk factors of those scenarios and if signatures are needed or just SSL.