Re: [OAUTH-WG] Security Requirement -- was Re: Reminder: OAuth WG Conference Call, 21st January 2013, 1pm EST

zhou.sujing@zte.com.cn Tue, 29 January 2013 12:10 UTC

To: Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net>
From: zhou.sujing@zte.com.cn
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 20:09:44 +0800
Cc: "oauth@ietf.org WG" <oauth@ietf.org>, oauth-bounces@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] Security Requirement -- was Re: Reminder: OAuth WG Conference Call, 21st January 2013, 1pm EST

Hi, Hannes,

Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net> 写于 2013-01-28 20:53:38:

> Hi Zhou,
>
> sorry I missed your mail because of the subject header.
>
> On Jan 18, 2013, at 11:22 AM, zhou.sujing@zte.com.cn wrote:
>

> > I have some questions concerning the oauth-security document.
> > 1. collusion
> >     Only collusion between resource servers are considered,
> >  however, collusion between resource server and client could happen.
>
> Correct. I should add this.
>
> > 2. AS-to-RS relationship anonymity
> >    if "the Client must not provide information about the Resource
> Server in the access token request."
> >   then how AS can encrypt access token using the key shared
> between AS and RS?
> >   I feel this requirement is unclear and conflict with some
> security measures that might be taken in OAuth 2.0.
>
> It is certainly true that there is a conflict between security and
> privacy here. For this reason I was hoping for feedback on how
> important this requirement is.
> There is a trade-off decision that has to be made here. From your
> point of view, how do you see the importance of the added security
> vs. the improved anonymity?
Privacy is always welcome.
The question is what will be the OAuth solution under this privacy
condition?
Or is it possible to obtain an OAuth method with both security and
anonymity?

> Here is the current text:
>
>       The Authorization Server can be
>       prevented from knowing which Resource Servers a Resource Owner
>       interacts with.  This requires avoiding direct communication
>       between the Authorization Server and the Resource Server at the
>       time when access to a protected resource by the Client is made.
>       Additionally, the Client must not provide information about the
>       Resource Server in the access token request.  [QUESTION: Is this a
>       desirable property given that it has other implications for
>       security?]
>

> > 3. Compromise of client, RS have been considered (separately)
> >    But the result of their compromise may not be limited to
> "client accessing more resources ",
> > it could be compromised client/RS  redirect RO to a manipulated AS
> phishing RO's credential, for example.

In the current text, it is pointed out the compromise of a single Client (
RS) should not  result
in compromise of other clients (RS).
The thing is compromise of a client could result in disclosure of keying
material held by RS, or vice verse.
it should also be considered IMO.
Further, even if compromise of client (RS) does not leak keys held by
other clients (RS),
the incident may have other consequence that will do harm to the system,
for example,
a compromised RS might redirect the Client and Resource Owner to a forged
AS, which phishing Resource owner's password.
I am saying compromise of a client or RS or AS may lead to more threat
than Domino effect.
I wonder if they have been well considered in the current document.