Re: [OAUTH-WG] Dynamic Client Registration

Phil Hunt <phil.hunt@oracle.com> Sat, 02 November 2013 16:08 UTC

From: Phil Hunt <phil.hunt@oracle.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2013 09:08:37 -0700
To: Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net>
Cc: "oauth@ietf.org WG" <oauth@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] Dynamic Client Registration

Hannes,

Some really good, thought provoking comments! I had not really been focused as much on financial relationships between SP and client. I must confess I considered web clients that set up major relations with service providers. In these cases I dismissed them as a use case because they would most likely configure manually and actually end up in the "static" class of clients. Still, I think we should give this some more careful thought.

What were you thinking of as a "enterprise" that differentiates with what we are currently talking about? Enterprise these days has so much derogatory baggage that it is hard to tell what is being referred to.

There is a quality of APIs that 6749 focuses on that registration can fix.  6749 works well for "monopoly"/"singleton"  API providers like Google, Facebook, etc.  Yet there are lots of "open" APIs established through open source projects, open standards (e.g. Connect), and commercial cases where customers will deploy their own copies of an API.  I'm not sure this really is "enterprise".  Even in the commercial cases, these APIs are most often made available as "open" for use by third party developers.  For me, this isn't a case of extending OAuth to support "enterprise", but rather extending OAuth to support "open" or "multiple-deployment" APIs on the web no matter where or how they are deployed.

Phil

@independentid
www.independentid.com
phil.hunt@oracle.com