Re: [OAUTH-WG] Comparing the JSON Token drafts

John Panzer <jpanzer@google.com> Sat, 02 October 2010 00:11 UTC

From: John Panzer <jpanzer@google.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2010 17:12:12 -0700
To: Dirk Balfanz <balfanz@google.com>
Cc: "oauth@ietf.org" <oauth@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] Comparing the JSON Token drafts

Quick note:

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 10:23 AM, Dirk Balfanz <balfanz@google.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 5:46 PM, Mike Jones <Michael.Jones@microsoft.com>wrote:
>
>>  Dirk and I both posted JSON Token drafts on Thursday.  They are at
>> http://balfanz.github.com/jsontoken-spec/draft-balfanz-jsontoken-00.html(which I’ll refer to as Dirk’s draft) and
>> http://self-issued.info/docs/draft-goland-json-web-token-00.html (which
>> I’ll refer to as JWT).  This note points out some of the differences (and
>> commonalities) in the interest of building consensus towards a unified
>> approach.
>>

>> Commonalities:
>>
>> ·         Both have ways of expressing the signature algorithm, token
>> issuer, token expiration time, and intended audience.
>>
>> ·         Both use a form of base64url encoding of the JSON claim data.
>>
>> ·         Both require support for the HMAC SHA-256 signature algorithm,
>> and describe how to sign with RSA SHA-256 as well.
>>

>> Differences:
>>
>> ·         Dirk’s draft uses a base64url encoding that may include one or
>> two ‘=’ pad characters.  The JWT draft uses base64url encoding without
>> padding.
>>
>> ·         JWT uses shorter claim names in the interest of brevity (“iss”,
>> “exp”, and “aud”, versus “issuer”, “not_after”, and “audience”).
>>
>> ·         JWT also describes how to sign with ECDSA SHA-256, plus HMAC,
>> RSA, and ECDSA with longer key lengths.
>>
>> ·         Dirk’s tokens must be signed, whereas signing JWTs is optional.
>>
>> ·         Dirk’s draft provides for a key_id parameter and a means of
>> serializing keys.
>>
>> ·         Dirk’s draft utilizes a Magic Signatures envelope, whereas the
>> only “envelope” component of a JWT is the encoded signature.
>>
>> ·         Dirk’s draft proposes that a particular discovery mechanism be
>> used with JSON tokens.
>>

>> Let me tackle the differences one at a time, in hopes of driving towards a
>> consensus position.
>>

> Hi there - thanks for writhing this up. Comments below:
>
>> ·         *To pad or not to pad:*  The ‘=’ pad characters add length, are
>> not URL-safe (and therefore must be escaped when used in URLs, adding more
>> length), and add no information.  Therefore, I would propose that we agree
>> not to use padding (as permitted by RFC 4648, Section 5<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4648#section-5>),
>> especially since a no-padding implementation is trivial, as shown in JWT
>> Section 13<http://self-issued.info/docs/draft-goland-json-web-token-00.html#base64urlnotes>
>> .
>>

> I don't feel strongly about this, but remember John Panzer's cautionary
> tales here: Apparently, padding-less encoding is not well-supported in some
> frameworks, which can lead to confusion.

Note: If this were the one remaining blocking issue keeping a shared core
signature spec from happening, I and the other implementors I've talked to
on Magic Signatures would be okay with switching if you feel really
strongly.  It will be an interop pain point but not a deal breaker.  So I
suggest putting this on hold, and seeing if everything else can be worked
out first, and if so, then we're done.