Re: [OAUTH-WG] Report an authentication issue

Torsten Lodderstedt <torsten@lodderstedt.net> Mon, 25 June 2012 21:43 UTC

From: Torsten Lodderstedt <torsten@lodderstedt.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 23:43:41 +0200
To: Lewis Adam-CAL022 <Adam.Lewis@motorolasolutions.com>
Cc: "oauth@ietf.org" <oauth@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] Report an authentication issue

Hi Adam,

what you describe is essentially a combination of

Lewis Adam-CAL022 <Adam.Lewis@motorolasolutions.com> schrieb:

>Hi Torsten,
>
>Your option #2 below is the model I was first attracted to.  The
>architecture as you mention is clean.  But the need to run multiple
>round trips (one to get the SAML assertion, another to get the access
>token), plus the inherently large size of a SAML assertion (compared to
>an unstructured access token, or even a JWT), was producing too much
>latency.

Use OpenId Connect between IDPs and central AS.

>Hence I have moved my interest to option #1.  I think the easiest thing
>to do is have the user authenticate to the local AS, get in return a
>structured JWT access token (which will look a lot like the Connect
>id_token) and present that JWT access token to the RS in the different
>domain, and that RS will use that JWT access token to authenticate the
>user.  Ideally I would like to use the id_token from Connect, but I'm
>getting push back on that idea since the id_token has really been
>profiled for the client, not the RS.

You could even combine both ideas by using the central AS of option #2 as an intermediary. The local AS can issue a JWT token, which in turn is accepted by the central AS to authenticate the user. The JWT assertion profile can be used for that purpose.

This is more or a less a I variant of my option #2. Instead of using SAML to transfer identity data from IDP to AS you use access tokens to do the same between your local AS (== IDP) and the central AS.

regards,
Torsten.