Re: [OAUTH-WG] I-D Action: draft-ietf-oauth-dyn-reg-05.txt

Justin Richer <jricher@mitre.org> Thu, 07 February 2013 14:59 UTC

Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2013 09:58:57 -0500
From: Justin Richer <jricher@mitre.org>
To: Mike Jones <Michael.Jones@microsoft.com>
Cc: "oauth@ietf.org" <oauth@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] I-D Action: draft-ietf-oauth-dyn-reg-05.txt

Mike,

Thanks for reviewing the latest draft.

First, it's my understanding that the role of the editor is not merely
to express the gestalt of the working group (though that's a very
important part of it) but also to drive that discussion to it's best
technical end. I put this revision together because it's easier to
discuss things when there's actual text on the table. If it's just a
suggested idea, I find that people tend to get very scared of imagined
horrors that have little to do with the actual proposals. There's an air
of "if we do something it's going to be the worst thing" that hang
around as long as parts are still unknown.

So I took a step out on a limb and got things down on paper. I told
people that I was going to do this the other day. [1] Since it's easy to
roll back any changes that the working group doesn't want, and revisions
are cheap, I'm not afraid to pull out things that make the WG cringe.
But at least now we have something real, and not imagined, to cringe at.

That said, there have been several discussions about the changes that
went into this revision. The original UMA draft from which this grew was
much JSON based, though it didn't define actions beyond the initial
registration. From the time I took over and moved it to form-based
actions inspired by the OIDC registration draft, I've had people asking
me why the registration endpoint wasn't a RESTful API: why didn't it use
HTTP verbs, why wasn't it JSON-in/JSON-out, etc. My argument at the time
was that OAuth wasn't RESTful (because it isn't), and that the
parallelism with the rest of OAuth would be good for DynReg. But several
people argued, several times now, that registration could be a really
good place to do something different without breaking the expectations
and flavor of the rest of the OAuth framework. I still hold that's it's
*different*, but after I saw Nat's elegant rewrite of the OIDC
registration spec [2], I was convinced that this could actually work in
a reasonable, non-hackish manner.

And so I decided, as editor, to take the many discussions about this
along with the best ideas and practices that I was aware of and put them
into a document that we could discuss and use.

I welcome discussion on the document on its merits, and not the actions
of its editor.

  -- Justin

[1] http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/oauth/current/msg10690.html
[2]