Re: [OAUTH-WG] Adam Roach's Discuss on draft-ietf-oauth-jwt-introspection-response-07: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Torsten Lodderstedt <torsten@lodderstedt.net> Fri, 20 September 2019 13:12 UTC

From: Torsten Lodderstedt <torsten@lodderstedt.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2019 15:12:08 +0200
Cc: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, oauth@ietf.org, draft-ietf-oauth-jwt-introspection-response@ietf.org, oauth-chairs@ietf.org
To: Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com>
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] Adam Roach's Discuss on draft-ietf-oauth-jwt-introspection-response-07: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Hi Adam,

thank your for your review.

We just published https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-oauth-jwt-introspection-response-08 that hopefully resolves your DISCUSS and COMMENT.

> On 4. Sep 2019, at 09:44, Adam Roach via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> wrote:
>
> Adam Roach has entered the following ballot position for
> draft-ietf-oauth-jwt-introspection-response-07: Discuss

> introductory paragraph, however.)

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-oauth-jwt-introspection-response/

> DISCUSS:
>
> Thanks for the work the authors and other contributors have
> put into creating this document.
>
> I have a privacy concern that I think warrants text in the document.
>
> Section 8.3.1 introduces a significant amount of personally-identifiable
> information. While I understand that this is needed for the use case
> cited in the introduction (issuing certificated for electronic signatures),
> I think the document needs some treatment of the sensitivity of this
> information, the basis that the server uses to decide whether to include
> it, and how consent to disclose it might be obtained from the user.

We added text about the trust management between AS and RS and how an AS determines what data a RS is allowed to receive (Sections 3 and 5).

We also re-reworked the Privacy Considerations section and added text about prerequisites for personal data transfer between AS and RS and security requirements in this context.

> I'm putting this in as a DISCUSS, because I really do think this is
> a showstopper for publication. I am quite aware, however, that I might
> simply be missing some important aspect of the solution that makes my
> concerns moot. Please point me in the right direction if this is the
> case, and I'll be happy to clear.

We had some assumptions (just) in mind that we now added to the document. I hope this clears your DISCUSS.

> COMMENT:
>
> §3:
>
>> The example response contains the following JSON document:
>>
>> {
>>   "sub": "Z5O3upPC88QrAjx00dis",
>>   "aud": "https://protected.example.net/resource",
>>   "scope": "read write dolphin",
>>   "iss": "https://server.example.com/",
>>   "active": true,
>>   "exp": 1419356238,
>>   "iat": 1419350238,
>>   "client_id": "l238j323ds-23ij4",
>>   "given_name": "John",
>>   "family_name":"Doe",
>>   "birthdate":"1982-02-01"
>> }
>
> The example response actually contains the following JSON document:
>
> {
>   "sub":"Z5O3upPC88QrAjx00dis",
>   "aud":"https:\/\/protected.example.net\/resource",
>   "extension_field":"twenty-seven",
>   "scope":"read write dolphin",
>   "iss":"https:\/\/server.example.com\/",
>   "active":true,
>   "exp":1419356238,
>   "iat":1419350238,
>   "client_id":"l238j323ds-23ij4",
>   "username":"jdoe"
> }
>
> Note the presence of "extension_field" and "username" fields, and the
> absence of "given_name", "family_name", and "birthdate" fields. There's
> also a bunch of unnecessarily escaped "/" characters in the document
> in the JWT, but not the expanded example; and while these are semantically
> insignificant, the discrepancy seems gratuitous.
>
> It is probably worthwhile updating either the JWT or the expanded
> example so that they match.

We re-did the whole example.

best regards.
Torsten.