Re: [OAUTH-WG] OAuth WG Re-Chartering

Torsten Lodderstedt <torsten@lodderstedt.net> Thu, 22 March 2012 08:29 UTC

Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 09:29:43 +0100
From: Torsten Lodderstedt <torsten@lodderstedt.net>
To: John Bradley <ve7jtb@ve7jtb.com>
Cc: oauth@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] OAuth WG Re-Chartering

Hi John,

> I don't think dynamic registration completely removes the need for a
> public client, that can't keep secrets.

I don't get this argument. In my opinion, there are two use cases,
which currently motivate usage of public clients and none of them is
about "keeping secrets".

1) native apps - There is no mechanism for securely _provisioning_
those clients with client secrets. So it does not make sense to use
secrets for authenticating them. Dynamic client registration would allow
them to obtain client id and secret on activation/installation. The
security of the respective secret is the same as for refresh tokens. So
either both can be protected appropriately or none of them. Please note:
I'm not talking about trust in the identity/authenticity of the
particular app installation. I'm just talking about simplifying the
OAuth flows and description. Today an AS needs to support the refresh
tokens or resource owner grant type for both confidential and public
clients in order to also support native apps.
2) implicit grant - here, public clients are used because the protocol
design itself does not allows for validating client secrets. Obviously,
digital signature would help but make the protocol more difficult to
use.

Basically, dynamic client registration allows a client to bind to an AS
at runtime. That's what it makes so valuable with respect to
interoperatibility. Whether the client just registers meta data or also
obtains a secret is another aspect but not the only one.

regards,
Torsten.