Re: [OAUTH-WG] Auth Code Swap Attack

Eran Hammer-Lahav <eran@hueniverse.com> Sat, 13 August 2011 15:14 UTC

From: Eran Hammer-Lahav <eran@hueniverse.com>
To: Torsten Lodderstedt <torsten@lodderstedt.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 08:14:22 -0700
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "OAuth WG (oauth@ietf.org)" <oauth@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] Auth Code Swap Attack

Again, the idea that you can produce a comprehensive description of
security threat is impractical if you are going to include every
browser-based attack and its remedies. OAuth use of browser redirection
imports almost every possible attack vector on the web. That's my point.
People constantly bring up these attack vectors, and in multiple flavors
and variations, as if *anyone* can produce a complete list of these issues.

Now, this doesn't mean we should not try to be comprehensive but this can
go on forever.

The changes to 10.12 seem reasonable with the exception of the new MUSTs.
I disagree that we should mandate clients to use the state parameter as
the only CSRF protection vector, especially in an evolving web
environment. We can still include a MUST for verifying that the user
redirected to the authorization server is the same user coming back, and
highlight the state parameter as one way to accomplish that.

How about:

state: OPTIONAL. An opaque value used by the client to maintain state
between the request and redirection. The authorization server includes
this value when redirecting the user-agent back to the client. Use of the
"state" parameter is RECOMMENDED for preventing cross-site request forgery
as described in Section 10.12.

Section 10.12 Cross-Site Request Forgery

Cross-site request forgery (CSRF) is a web-based attack whereby HTTP
requests are transmitted from the user-agent of an end-user the server
trusts or has authenticated. CSRF attacks enable the attacker to intermix
the attacker's security context with that of the resource owner resulting
in a compromise of either the resource server or of the client application
itself.

In the OAuth context, such attacks allow an attacker to inject their own
authorization code or access token into the client, which can result in
the client associating the attacker's protected resources to the victim's
account on the client. Depending on the nature of the client and the
protected resources, this can have undesirable and damaging effects. In
order to prevent such attacks, the client MUST employ CSRF protection.

It is strongly RECOMMENDED for the client to utilize the "state" request
parameter with authorization requests to the authorization server. When
used for CSRF prevention, the "state" request parameter MUST contain a
non-guessable value, which the client MUST also store with the resource
owner's user-agent in a location accessible only to the client or the
resource owner's user-agent (i.e., protected by same-origin policy). For
example, the client can using a DOM variable, HTTP cookie, or HTML5
client-side storage.

When redirecting the resource owner's user-agent back to the client, the
authorization server includes the value of the "state" parameter. Upon
receiving the redirection request, the client MUST confirm that returned
value of the "state" parameter matches the value stored with the resource
owner's user-agent.

EHL