Re: [OAUTH-WG] I-D Action: draft-ietf-oauth-security-topics-05.txt

Torsten Lodderstedt <torsten@lodderstedt.net> Tue, 20 March 2018 16:44 UTC

From: Torsten Lodderstedt <torsten@lodderstedt.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2018 16:44:08 +0000
Cc: Travis Spencer <travis.spencer@curity.io>, oauth <oauth@ietf.org>
To: Brian Campbell <bcampbell@pingidentity.com>
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] I-D Action: draft-ietf-oauth-security-topics-05.txt

Hi Brian,

> Am 20.03.2018 um 15:37 schrieb Brian Campbell <bcampbell@pingidentity.com>:
>
> +1 to what Travis said about 3.8.1
>
> The text in 3.8 about Open Redirection is new in this most recent -05 version of the draft so this is really the first time it's been reviewed. I believe 3.8..1 goes too far in saying "this draft recommends that every invalid authorization request MUST NOT automatically redirect the user agent to the client's redirect URI."
>
> I understand that text was informed by https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-oauth-closing-redirectors-00 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-oauth-closing-redirectors-00> but it takes one of the potential mitigation discussed there in section 3 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-oauth-closing-redirectors-00#section-2.3> (the one which happens to contradict RFC 6749) and elevates it to a "MUST". I don't think something that drastic is warranted. I think there are other mitigations - like strict redirect_uri matching,

In the attack described in https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-oauth-closing-redirectors-00 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-oauth-closing-redirectors-00> section 2.1. the attacker dynamically registers a client with the AS. So exact redirect URI matching won’t stop the open redirection attack since the attacker uses the correct URI. The problem is with the change in the underlying trust model. RFC 6749 assumes every configured client to be legit. This might have been ok at the time RFC 6749 was published. Open dynamic client registration collides with this assumption.

We could distinguish between cases where the AS is confident the client is legit and other cases. But how does the AS determine it?

> referrer-policy headers, and appending a dummy fragment on error redirects -

Can you please explain how this protects from open redirection?

> that can protect against the more serious redirection issues without -security-topics trying to introduce normative breaking changes to the behavior from the original OAuth 2.0 Authorization Framework.

> Perhaps there are some error cases not mentioned in RFC 6749 where returning an HTTP error code to the browser would be better or more appropriate than redirecting back to the OAuth client (my opinion on this has gone in circles and I'm honestly not sure anymore). But saying that authorization requests never automatically redirect back to the client's redirect URI is excessive.

Probably. Let’s discuss in detail.

I think the AS should not automatically redirect the user in case of the following error conditions because an attacker could cause this errors via request parameters or its configuration:
- unsupported_response_type
- invalid_scope
- unauthorized_client
- invalid_request