[OAUTH-WG] Stephen Farrell's No Objection on draft-ietf-oauth-proof-of-possession-10: (with COMMENT)

"Stephen Farrell" <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> Thu, 17 December 2015 11:45 UTC

From: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2015 03:45:18 -0800
Cc: oauth@ietf.org, draft-ietf-oauth-proof-of-possession@ietf.org, oauth-chairs@ietf.org
Subject: [OAUTH-WG] Stephen Farrell's No Objection on draft-ietf-oauth-proof-of-possession-10: (with COMMENT)

Stephen Farrell has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-oauth-proof-of-possession-10: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-oauth-proof-of-possession/

COMMENT:

- Figure 1 and the discussion thereof: you talk all the time here
about "a symmetric key" so I think you ought add a footnote like
bit of text that says something like "note that there ought be
more than one key involved here, derived from the key exchanged
at (0) via a KDF." I kinda wish that all that had been covered in
one document but I guess that's part of the PoP arch doc, which
is for later.

- 3.1 says "outside the scope of this specification": just
wondering - does that phrase occur in all OAuth RFCs? (only
kidding, honest:-)

- section 4, para 2: replay can also be avoided if a sub-key is
derived from a shared secret that is specific to the instance of
the PoP demonstration.

- section 6: DE guidance - I think we ought tell the DEs that the
specification of a new thing needs to explicitly describe the
security properties of using the new thing.

- I didn't see a response to the secdir review [1] but that was
maybe sent to the wrong places.

   [1] https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/secdir/current/msg06266.html