Re: [OAUTH-WG] draft-ietf-oauth-revocation-04

"Donald F Coffin" <donald.coffin@reminetworks.com> Sun, 03 February 2013 20:46 UTC

From: Donald F Coffin <donald.coffin@reminetworks.com>
To: 'Torsten Lodderstedt' <torsten@lodderstedt.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2013 12:45:31 -0800
Cc: 'John Adkins' <jva2@pge.com>, 'Marty Burns' <marty@hypertek.us>, 'Scott Crowder' <scott.crowder@qadoenergy.com>, 'Dave Robin' <drobin@automatedlogic.com>, 'John Teeter' <john.teeter@peoplepowerco.com>, pmadsen@pingidentity.com, 'Edward Denson' <ewd7@pge.com>, oauth@ietf.org, 'Ray Perlner' <ray.perlner@nist.gov>, 'Anne Hendry' <ahendry2@gmail.com>, 'Lynne Rodoni' <mrodoni@semprautilities.com>, 'Uday Verma' <uday.verma@ilinknet.com>
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] draft-ietf-oauth-revocation-04

Hi Torsten,

Best regards,

Don

Donald F. Coffin

Founder/CTO

REMI Networks

22751 El Prado Suite 6216

Rancho Santa Margarita, CA  92688-3836

Phone:      (949) 636-8571

Email:        <mailto:donald.coffin@reminetworks.com> donald.coffin@reminetworks.com

From: Torsten Lodderstedt [mailto:torsten@lodderstedt.net]
Sent: Sunday, February 03, 2013 4:20 AM
To: Donald F Coffin
Cc: 'George Fletcher'; 'John Adkins'; 'Scott Crowder'; 'Dave Robin'; 'John Teeter'; pmadsen@pingidentity.com; 'Edward Denson'; 'Marty Burns'; 'Uday Verma'; 'Ray Perlner'; 'Anne Hendry'; 'Lynne Rodoni'; oauth@ietf.org

Hi Donald,

Am 03.02.2013 12:57, schrieb Donald F Coffin:

<snip>

[Don] A typical Third Party application built to use the ESPI Standard will interact with a Retail Customer and their energy provider.  The nature of interaction with the Retail Customer will utilize short interactive sessions.  However, the interaction with their energy provider will require the application obtain new energy information for the previous 24-hours once a day.  Therefore, I anticipate access_tokens will be granted for long periods of time as well as any supporting refresh_tokens.  Because of the amount of data being exchanged between the Third Party application and the energy provider, both in number of retail customers and the amount of energy meter data, it will be necessary to minimize the amount of “administrative” traffic required in the exchange.  Therefore, although I understand the use case you described, I anticipate such an implementation would be rare.

The need to perform an audience style check to prevent exposure of the AS to a denial of service attack, appears primarily due to the fact the Revocation RFC requires an access_token and refresh_token to be revoked independently.  Should a client need to revoke both Tokens the sequence of the revocation request is extremely significant.  A simple solution to this problem would be to provide a method that allows a request to revoke both tokens simultaneously, as stated in one of the responses you referenced in the archives.

The example you gave in your response demonstrating how a denial of service attack might occur is incorrect.  You said “if the AS revokes the refresh_token when an access_token is revoked, I can steal an access_token and send it to the revocation endpoint causing the real client’s refresh_token to be revoked”.  I fail to see how that could occur, since the AS revoked both the access_token and the refresh_token when it received the request to revoke the access_token.  Rather than explaining why a refresh_token shouldn’t be revoked concurrently when an access_token is revoked, your example does the exact opposite.  It shows why a refresh_token should be revoked concurrently when an access_token is revoked.

[Don] The focus of the ESPI Standard is to provide Retail Customer’s with access to a single UsagePoint (i.e. their Smart Meter).  Therefore an access and refresh token will be tightly correlated with the type and frequency of data the Smart Meter provides.  There are only a few reasons defined within the ESPI Standard list of use cases that will require the Token Revocation request to be issued.  The following summarizes the situations that require a Token Revocation request:

·         A Third Party application wishes to terminate their relationship with a Retail Customer.

·         A Third Party application wishes to terminate their relationship with a Data Custodian.

·         A Retail Customer wishes to terminate their relationship with a Third Party application.

·         A Retail Customer wishes to change the data (i.e. scope) a Third Party application has permission to access.

In none of the above situations will it be valid to retain a refresh token, which I realize is implementation dependent, due to the nature of the ESPI Standard.

Perhaps the section on the Server’s Revocation Policy should address a few of the reasons why a client may want or need to revoke a token.  The current description provides no consideration for the relationship between tokens and scope, although there clearly is a relationship.

I'm confident client or resource owner would revoke refresh (and not access) tokens in all use cases you listed above. In my opinion, access tokens are revoked only if the authorization server does not support refresh tokens and therefore uses long term access tokens or in high-security applications.

[Don] Based on the above statement it would appear you assume an access token is only valid for a short period of time.  However, as I explained in my last response, due to the nature of the access required by the client and the manner in which the RS provides that data, access token durations will typically be in days not minutes.   Therefore, merely revoking a refresh_token will expose the data to access that the resource owner meant to prevent unless the access_token is also revoked.

I don't understand why access tokens need such a long duration in your scenario, even if the client needs to obtain energy data once a day. Any client can (potentially) obtain a new access token at any time if the access token expires if the authorization server issues corresponding refresh tokens. So even in your scenario, access tokens could have a short duration. If you want to issue long-living access tokens in order to minimize load on the authorization servers, then you have to consider the extra complexitity and load required to notify resource servers of access token revocation. It's a tradeoff decision, which we tried to describe in http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-oauth-revocation-04#section-3.

[Don] A critical fact I omitted in my last response is the data obtained on a daily basis by a Third Party application will utilize an access_token obtained using the client_credentials grant_type.  Therefore no refresh_token will be issued with the access_token.  The ESPI Standard requires the Retail Customer (resource owner) and the RS to be notified whenever an authorization is modified or revoked by either the Third Party (client) or Retail Customer (resource owner).  Therefore, the tradeoff decision has already been made.

I personally feel that short lived access_tokens provide greater security, but in discussions with several utilities who have the responsibility of supporting the AS and RS functionality, they currently are planning on implementing long duration access_tokens.  This view may change once the begin to implement “Connect My Data” solutions, but that again is an implementation feature, which is beyond the scope of my groups current work product.

I would also like to hear the opinion of other WG members on this topic.

3. If the standard OAuth spec does not provide enough control, your profile of OAuth2 for the ESPI can tighten it to provide the protections desired.

[Don] I am aware we can provide additional parameters required to integrate OAuth 2.0 with the ESPI Standard by submitting those parameter values to the OAuth Parameters registry. I would prefer not to do that, given the large amount of work being done on RFC-drafts to resolve many of the issues we are facing to integrate OAuth 2.0 with the ESPI Standard, since the need to use those extensions will most likely be short lived.

Hmmm, if the need is only short lived, why do you want to make it part of the long living revocation RFC?

[Don] My response was to the suggestion that if the OAuth specification does not provide enough control then the ESPI profile of OAuth 2.0 could tighten it to provide the protections desired.  I assumed George meant we could add additional “company” based parameters, which requires us to register them with the “OAuth Parameter Registry”.  I meant the usage of such “company” parameters would be short termed.

Understood.

I do not view the need to identify the type of token being revoked as “short term”.  Even the previous exchanges on the topic within the WG indicates it feels there may be a need to add an additional parameter to the request.  However, because the draft is too far along, the WG seems to prefer releasing an RFC they “suspect” will need to be adjusted and let the implementers confirm their suspicions.   This seems to be a very selfish and rather foolish attitude given we are discussing a security protocol.  Not to mention it would seem easier and faster to add an additional “optional” parameter now, rather than requiring another RFC cycle.  A parameter I sensed in reading the archives the WG feels will very likely need to be added in the future.

Since this is a WG item, it is up to the WG to decide.

[Don] I fully understand it is the WG’s decision.  I am only providing my opinion as an implementer, who the WG desires to obtain feedback from before making the final decision.

regards,
Torsten.

Thanks,
George