Re: [OAUTH-WG] Error Registry Consensus Call

Eran Hammer <eran@hueniverse.com> Mon, 07 May 2012 23:06 UTC

From: Eran Hammer <eran@hueniverse.com>
To: Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net>, "oauth@ietf.org WG" <oauth@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2012 23:06:51 +0000
x-originating-ip: [64.74.213.174]
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] Error Registry Consensus Call

A.

For the following reasons (all extensively discussed on this list before):

1. The OAuth core specification has nothing to do with HTTP authentication schemes.
2. The bearer specification is a general purpose HTTP Auth scheme and defining such a registry needs to be defined within those boundaries - that is, either specific to Bearer to generic to all HTTP Auth scheme opting into the error parameter.
3. There wasn't strong consensus that the error parameter was even necessary or useful to begin with. Limiting it to bearer reflects the wider IETF consensus on the matter (based on feedback received at the time from the HTTPbis WG).
4. It would be odd for someone using the bearer scheme outside of OAuth to use the OAuth error registry (and take over values that will be helpful for the core specification).
5. There is no overlap in functionality or values between the protected resource endpoint (which is part of the proprietary API namespace) and the OAuth endpoint for which the registry was created. To piggyback the OAuth registry just because it is slightly easier would be wrong. There is no interop value accomplished.

This is not simply a question of where to stick the registry. Adding this to the OAuth registry would be a fundamental change in architecture and philosophy and a significant change at this point. Adding it to the bearer specification is the only viable option.

I would request that such a change go through another IETF LC if this was the WG consensus but hope we can avoid it.

EH