Re: [OAUTH-WG] A Scope Attack against OAuth 2.0

John Bradley <ve7jtb@ve7jtb.com> Sat, 18 February 2012 22:47 UTC

From: John Bradley <ve7jtb@ve7jtb.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 19:47:24 -0300
To: Shane B Weeden <sweeden@au1.ibm.com>
Cc: Wenjie Lin <lin.820@osu.edu>, "oauth@ietf.org (oauth@ietf.org)" <oauth@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] A Scope Attack against OAuth 2.0

I agree that it is not a protocol problem.

The problem is that some developers are not understanding the spec.

One case I saw recently was a proposal to send a scope to the Authorization endpoint that changed is authentication behaviour e.g. ask for mlti-factor authentication.

On a superficial reading of the spec they thought that not getting a changed set of scopes back in the response that the Authorization server was indicating that it had done what was asked.

When I pointed out that the user agent can remove scopes because requests are not signed,  they had a similar solution of forcing all the endpoints to always return the scopes granted.

I hope I talked them out of that.

The problem is getting people to use scopes to represent resources and not other arbitrary configuration things,  and to understand that even if they do get a scope granted it could disappear before they get to use the access token and they need to be prepared for that.

The premise that users get access to y for access to x is something that can be built with OAuth but is not something that can be inferred in the way they are proposing.

From my perspective replying with granted scopes is a convince for the client, but not something that can be depended upon.
I don't think we need any normative change.

A don't make stupid assumptions about the persistence of scopes in tokens note would be as far as I would go.

John B.