Re: [OAUTH-WG] Possible alternative resolution to issue 26

Dick Hardt <dick.hardt@gmail.com> Tue, 04 October 2011 02:19 UTC

From: Dick Hardt <dick.hardt@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2011 19:22:32 -0700
To: Mike Jones <Michael.Jones@microsoft.com>
Cc: "oauth@ietf.org" <oauth@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] Possible alternative resolution to issue 26

I meant 3 and C

-- Dick

On 2011-10-03, at 6:56 PM, Mike Jones <Michael.Jones@microsoft.com> wrote:

 As editor, based upon James’ input, I’d like to expand the set of choices
for the working group to consider by adding the possibility of using JSON
string encodings for scope and error_description where the characters used
for the encoding are restricted to the set of 7-bit ASCII characters
compatible with the HTTPbis and RFC 2617 parameter syntaxes.

1.  Using RFC 5987 encoding for the scope parameter.

2.  Continuing to specify no non-ASCII encoding for scope parameter values.

3.  Using JSON string encoding for the scope parameter.

A.  Using RFC 5987 encoding for the error_description parameter.

B.  Continuing to specify UTF-8 encoding for the error_description
parameter.

C.  Using JSON string encoding for the error_description parameter.

As an individual, I’m sympathetic to the argument that RFC 5987 (with
“scope*” and language tags etc.) is overkill for OAuth implementations,
where neither of the sets of strings is intended to be presented to
end-users.  Hence, the possible attractiveness of options 3 and C.

Thoughts from others?

                                                                -- Mike