Re: [OAUTH-WG] I-D Action: draft-ietf-oauth-mtls-03.txt

Torsten Lodderstedt <torsten@lodderstedt.net> Thu, 03 August 2017 10:49 UTC

From: Torsten Lodderstedt <torsten@lodderstedt.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2017 12:48:58 +0200
Cc: "<oauth@ietf.org>" <oauth@ietf.org>, Brian Campbell <bcampbell@pingidentity.com>
To: Justin Richer <jricher@mit.edu>
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] I-D Action: draft-ietf-oauth-mtls-03.txt

Hi Justin,

thanks for reviewing the draft.

> Am 01.08.2017 um 21:57 schrieb Brian Campbell <bcampbell@pingidentity.com>:
>
> Thanks Justin.
>
> In my original announcement email, I should have given credit to Torsten as he made many of the updates in -03. So complements on improvements as well as blame for issues can be pointed to him as well!
>
> Your point about document structure is taken and we will look to make the separation of the client authentication and resource access more clear in future revisions. The document was aiming for something conceptually along those same lines already. But it could be made more clear.
>
> This could define a new “token_type” but other than having different token type names in messages, I don't know that a new token_type or HTTP auth scheme that would probably have to come along with it adds value to the use cases here. However, they would very likely make deployment of this stuff much more cumbersome and take longer.  Whereas many systems can likely plug in mutual TLS on top of the existing token_type and HTTP auth scheme without major changes. I'm strongly inclined to not introduce a new token_type and more inclined to not do a new HTTP auth scheme.

I agree. Although on a conceptual level the sender restricted access tokens as described in this draft are different, there is no difference in the HTTP payload. The difference lays completely in the way the TLS connection is established (which somehow makes the beauty of the concept). I therefore think introducing a new token type is inappropriate. But still, the clients needs to treat requests to a RS using sender constraint access tokens different than requests to a RS utilizing bearer tokens. I could image the RS may announce its mTLS support via another metadata parameter „mutual_tls_sender_constrained_access_tokens“ in the 401 response.

best regards,
Torsten.