Re: [OAUTH-WG] Simple Web Discovery

John Panzer <jpanzer@google.com> Fri, 29 October 2010 18:33 UTC

From: John Panzer <jpanzer@google.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 11:35:08 -0700
To: Lukas Rosenstock <lr@lukasrosenstock.net>, "webfinger@googlegroups.com" <webfinger@googlegroups.com>
Cc: "openid-specs-ab@lists.openid.net" <openid-specs-ab@lists.openid.net>, "oauth@ietf.org" <oauth@ietf.org>, "openid-specs-connect@lists.openid.net" <openid-specs-connect@lists.openid.net>
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] Simple Web Discovery

I think that it would be good to have a writeup like this that describes the
differences and pros and cons of each approach. Perhaps on a Wiki page?

Some random thoughts:

One thing:  host-meta is highly cacheable, so the # of round trips will
hopefully be comparable for large services with significant traffic.  In
fact the user XRD is also cacheable as well so there can be zero round
trips.  This proposal defines a mechanism separate from HTTP caching in
order to cache responses, it'd be good to have a rationale for doing that
(and to have an explanation of how this should interact with additional HTTP
level caching.)

This mechanism appears to require multiple round trips to a server if you
want to discover multiple services.

This proposal seems to require that the /well-known provider run a
significant service on their endpoint, as opposed to just dropping a file in
place.  I think that the forwarding mechanism may be a way around that?  How
would I hook into this mechanism if I really only can drop static files on
my web server, but I can perhaps use cloud services that I've registered
with to actually power the discovery?

--
John Panzer / Google
jpanzer@google.com / abstractioneer.org <http://www.abstractioneer.org/> /