Re: [OAUTH-WG] Fwd: Dropping 'realm' parameter

Eran Hammer-Lahav <eran@hueniverse.com> Wed, 24 November 2010 16:36 UTC

From: Eran Hammer-Lahav <eran@hueniverse.com>
To: John Kemp <john@jkemp.net>, "oauth@ietf.org" <oauth@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 09:37:27 -0700
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] Fwd: Dropping 'realm' parameter

This description of realm doesn't really fit into the OAuth model, as OAuth challenges are not meant for end users, but for clients. The problem with realm is that the existing experience (i.e. Basic) does not match OAuth. Realm does not improve interop because we can't figure out how to use it properly. Note that 'realm' will still be allowed if someone can figure out a useful way to use it. Currently, if you drop 'realm', nothing happens - that's not a good sign.

EHL