Re: [OAUTH-WG] Mail regarding draft-ietf-oauth-v2

Mike Jones <Michael.Jones@microsoft.com> Sun, 15 July 2012 00:42 UTC

From: Mike Jones <Michael.Jones@microsoft.com>
To: John Bradley <ve7jtb@ve7jtb.com>, Dick Hardt <dick.hardt@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 00:43:06 +0000
x-originating-ip: [157.54.51.32]
Cc: "draft-ietf-oauth-v2@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-oauth-v2@tools.ietf.org>, "Honton, Charles" <Charles_Honton@intuit.com>, "oauth@ietf.org WG" <oauth@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] Mail regarding draft-ietf-oauth-v2

I'm good with this change.

BTW, I suggest we put parenthesis around the new sentences, making it clear that they are an aside, rather than a normative part of the error code definitions.  So the text would then read:

  server_error

       The authorization server encountered an unexpected

       condition which prevented it from fulfilling the request.

       (This error code is needed because a 500 Internal Server

       Error HTTP status code cannot be returned to the client

       via a HTTP redirect.)

  temporarily_unavailable

       The authorization server is currently unable to handle

       the request due to a temporary overloading or maintenance

       of the server.  (This error code is needed because a 503 Service

       Unavailable HTTP status code cannot be returned to the client

       via a HTTP redirect.)

                                                            -- Mike

I am OK with that wording.  It is not a change just a clarification that may make things clearer to developers.

John B.
Great suggestion Charles. I think this is a good clarification. I'll adjust the copy you sent to be what follows in a new draft published tomorrow evening (Sunday PT) unless someone objects.

-- Dick

In both sections 4.1.2.1 and 4.2.2.1:

  server_error

       The authorization server encountered an unexpected

       condition which prevented it from fulfilling the request.

       This error code is needed because a 500 Internal Server

       Error HTTP status code cannot be returned to the client

       via a HTTP redirect.

  temporarily_unavailable

       The authorization server is currently unable to handle

       the request due to a temporary overloading or maintenance

       of the server.  This error code is needed because a 503 Service

       Unavailable HTTP status code cannot be returned to the client

       via a HTTP redirect.

If  the Authorization Server returns a 5xx,  the User-Agent will immediately display a error message.

If  the Authorization Server returns an error code in the redirect,  the Client can take alternative actions or appropriately message the error.

If this is correct, perhaps a slight change in wording will explain the lack of symmetry in the error codes.

In both sections 4.1.2.1 and 4.2.2.1:

       server_error

               The authorization server encountered an unexpected

               condition which prevented it from fulfilling the request.

              Using this error code allows the Client to handle this

               condition instead of the User-Agent

         temporarily_unavailable

               The authorization server is currently unable to handle

               the request due to a temporary overloading or maintenance

               of the server.  Using this error code allows the Client

               to handle this condition instead of the User-Agent

Thanks,
chas