Re: [OAUTH-WG] I-D Action: draft-ietf-oauth-introspection-02.txt

"Richer, Justin P." <jricher@mitre.org> Thu, 04 December 2014 15:05 UTC

From: "Richer, Justin P." <jricher@mitre.org>
To: Thomas Broyer <t.broyer@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2014 15:04:44 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.146.15.76]
Cc: "<oauth@ietf.org>" <oauth@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] I-D Action: draft-ietf-oauth-introspection-02.txt

On Dec 4, 2014, at 5:34 AM, Thomas Broyer <t.broyer@gmail.com<mailto:t.broyer@gmail.com>> wrote:

A few notes on the "form" only (not the "content"):

HTTP no longer is RFC 2616, it's RFC 7230 through 7237 (7235 and 7236 actually replacing 2617). Specifically, the GET and POST methods are defined in RFC 7231.

Thanks, will update the reference there.

application/x-www-form-urlencoded refers to RFC 1866; the same media type is said to be defined in HTML 4 in RFC 6749 and RFC 6750; and HTML 5 is now a thing. RFC 7009 uses the media type too but doesn't refer to any other RFC defining it.
I think this draft should either refer to RFC 6749, Appendix B <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6749#appendix-B> or to HTML 4 (for consistency with RFC6750) or to HTML 5 <http://xml2rfc.ietf.org/public/rfc/bibxml4/reference.W3C.REC-html5-20141028.xml> (because HTML 5 supersedes HTML 4).
I'd go with HTML 5, given that the IANA registration has been updated in that sense (see http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/REC-html5-20141028/iana.html#application/x-www-form-urlencoded and https://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/application/x-www-form-urlencoded); but given that RFC 6749, Appendix B algorithm is a subset of the HTML 5 one (enforces the use of UTF-8, ignoring the special key "_charset_"), and for consistency with other OAuth 2.0 specs, then maybe it'd be wiser to use the RFC 6749, Appendix B algorithm.

I'll just go with HTML5 as that's the canonical spec for this mime type now. No need to make it complicated, and any updates of 6749/6750 will likely do the same I would imagine.

References to sections of other specs form broken links in the rfcmarkup version, because of the name of the other spec appearing between "section N of" and the bracketed reference. For example, in section 2.3, "section 5.2 of OAuth 2.0 [RFC6749]" should instead read "section 5.2 of [RFC6749]"

I've seen this happen before, and I think it's a tool artifact.

There's a dangling "These parameters" in section 2.1. This lacks at least a verb and a colon ("These parameters are:").

Thanks, good catch! I think I was in the middle of rewriting that part when I got distracted.

 -- Justin

A last note on the content itself: +1, I don't think I have any further comment to make.