[OAUTH-WG] Is it possible to stop sharing bearer tokens ? (was OAuth for institutional users)

Denis <denis.ietf@free.fr> Mon, 06 February 2017 11:02 UTC

To: Justin Richer <jricher@mit.edu>, oauth@ietf.org, IETF Tokbind WG <unbearable@ietf.org>
From: Denis <denis.ietf@free.fr>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2017 12:02:01 +0100
Subject: [OAUTH-WG] Is it possible to stop sharing bearer tokens ? (was OAuth for institutional users)

Justin,

You said :

"Sharing bearer tokens is a well known attack surface and *there's
really no way to stop that*.
   Even PoP-style tokens can be shared since nothing stops Bob and Alice
from sharing their secrets with each other".

You also said:

"There's literally *nothing in the world that can prevent that level of
collusion* -- PoP, token binding, DRM... nothing".

Whatever kind of cryptography is being used, there is indeed are no way
to stop sharing bearer tokens using implementations
that rely on/_software-only implementations_/.

Since the current documents being progressed in the Tokbind WG are based
on the use of software only (i.e. TLS binding),
none of them is able to prevent that level of collusion.

_Note_: I also send a copy of the email to the Tokbind WG
(unbearable@ietf.org) so that it can be aware of that discussion.

However, when/_using secure hardware_ in a right way, *it is possible to
stop sharing bearer tokens*/.

Idemix from IBM has been extended to take advantage of the use of smart
cards. See the IRMA project (I Reveal My Attributes)
at: https://www.irmacard.org/irma/

It is mentioned in particular that "/The security of IRMA depends on the
protection of each User’s private key/".

Bob cannot indeed transmit any private key to Alice, however he is able
to *use* private keys present in his smart card.
If Bob accepts to collaborate with Alice, a smart card simply protecting
private keys does not possess sufficient properties
to counter the ABC attack (Alice and Bob Collusion attack). Bob can
perform all the computations that Alice needs, even if Bob
and Alice are located in different continents.

Hence the IRMA project, based on Idemix, is vulnerable to the ABC attack.

Another solution from Microsoft (U-Prove) has the same problem, even
when smart cards (or secure elements) are being used:
U-prove is also vulnerable to the ABC attack.

draft-ietf-oauth-pop-architecture-08 (OAuth 2.0 Proof-of-Possession
(PoP) Security Architecture), has expired on January 9, 2017.
Since it was only relying on software, it was unable to counter the ABC
attack.

The *only way* to stop sharing bearer tokens is to use implementations
that rely on//some piece of hardware that has /_additional properties_/
beyond the protection of private keys.

A secure solution certainly needs to rely on the use of software, but
also on the use of secure elements that have specific /_functional and
security properties_/.

Stopping the sharing of bearer tokens, is not a concern in the case of a
delegation protocol, since the use of *Authorization Servers should be
deprecated
in this context for privacy reasons (as explained in my previous email
sent to the OAuth mailing list).*

However, stopping the sharing of bearer tokens is mandatory in a
"different protocol where the client and resource negotiate attributes
for the client
to present to the resource to fulfill its requirements".

A protocol able to stop sharing bearer tokens needs to transmit data
generated by the secure elements (called APDUs - Application Protocol
Data Units)
so that some APDUscan be directly verified by Authorization Servers and
some other APDUscan be directly verified by Resource Servers.

In order to stop the sharing of bearer tokens, it is also necessary to
specify the format of the access tokens.

I noticed that OAuth does not specify the access token itself, since the
format is opaque to the protocol flow. As long as this postulate will
remain,
OAuth and its derivatives won't be able to stop the sharing of bearer
tokens.

As a conclusion, keeping all the postulates of OAuth 2.0 /unchanged//,
/I do agree with you that//"*there's really no way to stop that"*.

However, *there's a way to stop that*, but some of the postulates of
OAuth 2.0 would need to be changed and some /_functional and security
requirements_/
that apply to the use of secure elements would need to be added.

This might not be called "OAuth 2.0" anymore ... but this would be a
secure solution.

Denis