Re: [OAUTH-WG] WGLC on Assertion Drafts

Chuck Mortimore <cmortimore@salesforce.com> Fri, 13 April 2012 17:20 UTC

From: Chuck Mortimore <cmortimore@salesforce.com>
To: "Zeltsan, Zachary (Zachary)" <zachary.zeltsan@alcatel-lucent.com>, "Tschofenig, Hannes (NSN - FI/Espoo)" <hannes.tschofenig@nsn.com>, "oauth@ietf.org" <oauth@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 10:20:10 -0700
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] WGLC on Assertion Drafts

Hi Zachary - sorry about the delay in responding.

Perhaps the language is a bit confusing - let me explain the intent and see if it makes sense and if you have a recommendation on how it could be made clearer.

All this is really saying is that the Authorization server must validate the signature to make sure the Issuer is who they say they are.   The authorization server would use the Issuer as it's mechanism for looking up either the shared secret for an HS256 or the public key for RS256.   It then checks the signature, and proves to itself that the generator of the assertion had possession of the expected keying material and identified itself as the issuer.

Feedback welcome

-cmort