Re: [OAUTH-WG] Ben Campbell's No Objection on draft-ietf-oauth-spop-12: (with COMMENT)

"Nat Sakimura" <n-sakimura@nri.co.jp> Thu, 11 June 2015 09:14 UTC

From: Nat Sakimura <n-sakimura@nri.co.jp>
To: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2015 18:14:29 +0900
Cc: draft-ietf-oauth-spop.ad@ietf.org, draft-ietf-oauth-spop.shepherd@ietf.org, oauth@ietf.org, draft-ietf-oauth-spop@ietf.org, oauth-chairs@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] Ben Campbell's No Objection on draft-ietf-oauth-spop-12: (with COMMENT)

Thanks Ben for the comments.

My responses inline.

Please see my and John's response to Barry.

> others:
>
> Substantive:
>
> -- section 1, pre-condition 3: "All OAuth 2.0 native app client-instances
> use
> the same client_id.  Secrets provisioned in client binary applications
> cannot
> be considered confidential."
>
> Is that part of the pre-condition per-se, or a general statement? If the
> former,
> wouldn't a potential mitigation for this attack be to ensure the
> precondition
> doesn't occur?

It is describing the state we are in, and the state is a prerequisite for
the attck to succeed.

> -- section 1, paragraph after precondition list: "not applicable since
> they rely
> on a per-client instance secret or aper client instance
>    redirect URI."
>
> I infer that these are not realistic? If so, it might be useful to say
> why. For
> instance, would one way to mitigate this attack be to make sure you have
> per-client
> secrets and redirect URIs?

Per-client secrets to tens of millions of clients adds serverside headache
by
requiring persistent serverside client state.
Also, the client development overhead become much larger now that the client
has to be capable of doing dynamic client registration.

These combined, tendency of the developer is to ignore the risk.

PKCE provides a way to mitigate the risk without persistent serverside state
nor
development overhead of dynamic client registration.

> -- 4.4.1, last sentence:
>
> Does this advice change if people register new challenge methods?  That
> is, what
> if the client supports "plain", and "foo" but not S256, where foo is more
> secure
> than plain. Can it still use "plain"?

Client needs to a priori know that the server supports "foo".
Otherwise, it will be a target for algorithm downgrade attack.
If the Client knows that the server supports "foo", then the client must not
accept "plain".

> -- 6.2:
>
> Does the ability to register new challenge methods introduce bid-down
> attacks?
> (Assuming that any such method is more secure than "plain", and that the
> server
> might not support it.)

Please see the above.

> Also, I share Barry's concern that the registration procedures require
> quite
> a bit of special treatment from IANA.

Please see the response to Barry.

> -- 7.4:
>
> This seems to need a normative reference to 6819.

We can move it from Informative Reference to Normative if referring it in
SHOULD qualifies it for.

> -- 7.5: How does the guidance in section 10.8 of 6749 apply to the
> code_verifier?

code_verifier will be transmitted in the clear between the app and the
system browser in the main use case.

> Also, I think the last sentence requires this draft (or some other) to
> update
> 6749.

Probably yes, but that is a separate issue, I suppose.

> Editorial:
>
> -- 4.4, 2nd to last paragraph: "The server MUST NOT include the
> "code_challenge"
> value in client requests in a form that other entities can extract."
>
> should "client requests" be "responses to clients"? (I assume the server
> does
> not send client requests--or do I have the terminology wrong?)

I think that my bad English.
The intent was:

The server MUST NOT include (the "code_challenge" value in the client
request) in the code in a form that other entities can extract.

I could restate it as:

When the server embeds the received Code Challange in the Authorization
Code, it MUST NOT be done in a form that other entities can extract it.

> -- 4.4.1, first paragraph:
> Please expand PKCE on first mention. (It might help to declare PKCE in the
> introduction.)

Please see my response to Barry. I have proposed even a fuller alternative.

Cheers,

Nat Sakimura
Nomura Research Institute.