[OAUTH-WG] TLS version requirements in OAuth 2.0 base

Barry Leiba <barryleiba@computer.org> Thu, 17 November 2011 08:41 UTC

Sender: barryleiba@gmail.com
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 16:41:26 +0800
From: Barry Leiba <barryleiba@computer.org>
To: oauth WG <oauth@ietf.org>
Subject: [OAUTH-WG] TLS version requirements in OAuth 2.0 base

The OAuth base doc refers in two places to TLS versions (with the same
text in both places:

OLD
The authorization server MUST support TLS 1.0 ([RFC2246]), SHOULD
support TLS 1.2 ([RFC5246]) and its future replacements, and MAY
support additional transport-layer mechanisms meeting its security
requirements.

In both the shepherd review and the AD review, this was called into question:
1. MUST for an old version and SHOULD for the current version seems wrong.
2. Having specific versions required locks us into those versions (for
example, all implementations will have to support TLS 1.0, even long
after it becomes obsolete, unless we rev the spec.

I have suggested the following change, as doc shepherd:

NEW
The authorization server MUST implement the current version of TLS
(1.2 [RFC5246] at the time of this writing), and SHOULD implement the
most widely deployed previous version (1.0 [RFC2246] at the of this
writing), unless that version is deprecated due to security
vulnerabilities.  It MAY also implement additional transport-layer
mechanisms that meet its security requirements.

I believe this also gives us the effect we want, without the two
problems above.  There was consensus in the meeting for accepting this
text.  Confirming on the list:

Please respond to this thread if you *object* to this change, and say
why.  Please respond by 2 Dec 2011.

Barry, as document shepherd