Re: [OAUTH-WG] Proposed Syntax Changes in Dynamic Registration

Justin Richer <jricher@mitre.org> Mon, 20 May 2013 18:39 UTC

Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 14:39:09 -0400
From: Justin Richer <jricher@mitre.org>
To: Phil Hunt <phil.hunt@oracle.com>
Cc: "oauth@ietf.org" <oauth@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] Proposed Syntax Changes in Dynamic Registration

Phil, that's not a fair comparison. What I've done is a fundamentally
different kind of breaking change than the one you're asking for, though.

To explain more concretely: The change I agreed to make here was to
remove two underspecified values (of five listed) to a parameter that is
intended to be extensible. The extensions to DynReg that are using these
values (like OIDC registration) can then define them fully (like they
already are). That is a good change, and prompted by the good discussion
and feedback you've given here. That doesn't mean that the parameter
itself is "broken", and I think it's entirely another thing to remove
the parameter wholesale when it has proven utility. Getting rid of it
entirely would make it an OIDC-only parameter, when people are using it
in non-OIDC contexts.

I acknowledge the concerns that you have with the draft, and I thank you
for your feedback so far. However, I don't agree with your conclusions
regarding those concerns. I do look forward to any concrete proposals
you'll have later this week that will help further this discussion.

  -- Justin