"Jim Wing (J W)" <jwwing@vnet.ibm.com> Wed, 20 January 1993 23:24 UTC

Received: from CNRI.RESTON.VA.US by IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US id aa09144; 20 Jan 93 18:24 EST
Received: from bells.cs.ucl.ac.uk by CNRI.Reston.VA.US id aa15180; 20 Jan 93 18:25 EST
Received: from vnet.ibm.com by bells.cs.ucl.ac.uk with Internet SMTP id <g.14364-0@bells.cs.ucl.ac.uk>; Wed, 20 Jan 1993 23:17:40 +0000
Received: from DALHQIC2 by vnet.ibm.com (IBM VM SMTP V2R2) with BSMTP id 6654; Wed, 20 Jan 93 18:15:10 EST
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 93 17:17:51 CST
From: "Jim Wing (J W)" <jwwing@vnet.ibm.com>
To: info-oda+@andrew.cmu.edu, ietf-oda@cs.ucl.ac.uk
Message-ID: <9301201825.aa15180@CNRI.Reston.VA.US>

        Date: 18 January 1993

        To:   OIW ODA SIG Participants (Attachment H)
              Brenda Gray, OIW Administrator
              Amy Morris, OSINET Administrator
              Paul Pedersen, Consultant to ODA Interoperability Testing


        From: Jon A. Stewart, Acting Chair of ODA SIG and
                              Chair, Interoperability Testing Subgroup



        Subject:

              Minutes of the Meeting of the ODA SIG at the
              OSE Implementors Workshop, December 15-18, 1992


        Attachments:

          A) Subgroup Report: Text Processing, from: Patrick Stephens

          B) Subgroup Report: Raster/Image DAPs, from: Frank Spielman

          C) Subgroup Report: Interoperability Testing and Datastream
                              Conformance, from: Jon Stewart

          D) Ad Hoc Meeting Report:  Requirements for an OIW SIG for
             Generic, Neutral Content Notations and Related Profiles
             (e.g., CGM) -- Recommendations for Continuation of
             Activity, from: Jon Stewart

          E) ODA SIG Report, Slide Presented at Plenary, 18 December 1992

          F) Endorsement of Carlton Neville's comments on the NIST
             Application Portability Profile (APP) regarding usage
             of ODA and SGML

          G) Terminology -- Abbreviations/Acronyms used in reports


                                                                Page 1


        1  ATTENDANCE


          Jon Stewart, DEC Consultant, Acting Chair
          Patrick Stephens, DEC
          Rick Pond, IBM Canada
          Joanna Vanderbilt, Adept Computing
          Annette Shuford, US Navy,  David Taylor Model Basin
          Frank Spielman, NIST
          Carlton Neville, Consultant
          Christian Kunz, Interlinear Technology
          Alan Peltzman, DoD DISA/Center for Standards
          Dan Wu, DoD DISA/Center for Standards



        2  SUMMARY OF MEETING

             The agenda prepared by Jim Wing (absent due to illness) was
        adopted; the previous meeting minutes were accepted with changes
        from Frank Spielman.  Attachment E is the "OIW  plenary  meeting
        report slide."



        3  ACTIONS/RESOLUTIONS AND OUTPUT DOCUMENT

             All resolutions/liaisons passed unanimously at the ODA  SIG
        plenary  and  in the OIW plenary.  Output documents (if any) are
        indicated in ... below:
        1.  92/1242 -- Letter to AIIM/CALS on FOD126 (ODA Raster DAP)
        2.  92/1243 -- Letter to  DoD  identifying  change  to  stable
            agreements (part 23)
        3.  92/1252 -- Letter from Carlton Neville re use of  ODA  and
            SGML in the NIST APP
        4.  92/1253 -- Endorsement (attachment F) of 92/1252 including
            rewording by Annette Shuford
        5.  In part 16 (ODA Level 3 DAP) move the text  in  the  working
            agreements  to  stable,  modify  title  of  ISP  11182-1  by
            deleting "office" and inserting "open"
        6.  In part 17 (ODA Level 2 DAP) move the text  in  the  working
            agreements  to  stable,  modify  title  of  ISP  11181-1  by
            deleting "office" and inserting "open"
        7.  Create a new part in  the  OIW  working  agreements,  titled
            "Level 2 to Level 3 Migration DAP" (part 27)




        4  FUTURE MEETINGS

          OIW ODA SIG                           NIST    Mar 9-11 1993
          PAGODA #13                            Germany May 10-14 1993
          OIW ODA SIG                           NIST    Jun 8-10 1993

                                                                Page 2




        ATTACHMENT A: Subgroup Report, Text Processing --
                      from: Patrick Stephens, Acting Chair
        ___________________________________________________



             The OIW agreed to create a new part in the  OIW  agreements
        for the "Level 2 to Level 3 migration DAP".  This was previously
        proposed under the name FOD26E, but since an  entirely  new  DAP
        was  unacceptable  to PAGODA, the concept of a migration DAP was
        more acceptable -- Level 3 (FOD36) is very complicated  relative
        to Level 2 (FOD26).

             Patrick Stephens will edit this DAP -- using the FOD36  ISP
        sources  to  produce  the  FOD26E  subset (the functionality has
        already been agreed by the ODA SIG for some time).

             The actual text for FOD26E will be submitted at  the  March
        OIW  ODA  SIG  and voted into the OIW working agreements at that
        time.  When it has been in the working agreements for 3  months,
        it  can  be  voted  into  the stable agreements.  This action is
        planned for the June meeting.

             The final text for FOD36 ISP has been submitted to  ISO  by
        Jim  Wing.   As  of the first week on Jan 93, the final text of
        all 3 DAPs is available.

             The first draft of the  harmonized  Implementation  Support
        Requirements  (ISR)  document  for FOD26 was received from EWOS,
        but too late for a review.  This will be discussed at the  March
        meeting.



        ATTACHMENT B: Subgroup Report, Image/Raster DAPs
                      from: Frank Spielman, Chair
        ________________________________________________


        The Image application subgroup ...

        -    Approved a technical change to Part 23 (ODA Raster DAP)
             to remove clipping as a document profile default option.

        -    Approved actions on Part 22 (ODA Image DAP) as follows:
               Moved Working Agreements to Stable Agreements,
               Incorporated same technical change that was made to Part 23,
               Made editorial changes for consistency of attribute names
                    and clause titles.

        -    Prepared liaison statements to SGFS, AOW, EWOS, DoD, and
             AIIM concerning changes to the DAPs and harmonization of pDISPs.


                                                                Page 3


             The Image DAPs are now at a fairly stable stage.  The  next
        phase  of work on these DAPs will be to get them internationally
        standardized and start an Implementation Requirements  document,
        etc.  CALS is very interested in one of these DAPs (raster) as a
        way of standardizing images within SGML documents.  That is,  an
        SGML document would reference an ODA document for image content,
        and the  ODA  document  would  contain  the  T4/T6/Bitmap  image
        content (and mandatory ODA attributes and constituents).



        ATTACHMENT C: Subgroup Report, ODA Interoperability Testing
                      from: Jon Stewart, Chair
        ____________________________________________________________


             Paul Pedersen now has the process for testing well  defined
        (a  Technical  Report  on the testing methodology is available).
        The next phase is to establish a set of test  documents  by  the
        end  of  January  1993.   Paul expects to complete his technical
        work in the next month and discontinue  major  participation  in
        the   project   --   although  he  may  continue  reviewing  and
        contributing to the project in other ways.

             Paul  Pedersen,  Patrick  Stephens  and  Joanna  Vanderwilt
        attended  the  OSINET Technical Committee to present the project
        status.  Paul presented his technical  report,  which  was  well
        received.   The  group was very enthusiastic about this project,
        which they  see  as  a  model  for  subsequent  interoperability
        testing projects to follow.

             The OSINET TC was queried about  test  registration.   They
        have  an online database in which any a vendor can register what
        they consider to be  a  successful  test  with  another  vendor.
        Patrick  Stephens,  DEC,  was  interested  in receiving detailed
        information on this, as DEC expects to register tests as soon as
        the   testing   methodology   is   complete  and  all  necessary
        information is available from OSINET.  The OSINET TC asked  that
        if  the  database is not suitable for registering ODA I14Y tests
        this be made known to  them  ASAP,  so  that  changes  could  be
        instituted as necessary.  One point of note is that the database
        can include product information as well as technical details.

             There was some discussion about what versions  of  products
        should be used for testing.  We agreed that released versions of
        products must be used for registered tests, but vendors may  use
        their   latest  internal  versions  for  ongoing  testing.   The
        coordinator (Paul Pedersen or  replacement),  must  ensure  that
        both  vendors  are using their released versions for tests which
        may be registered.

                                                                Page 4



        ATTACHMENT D:

            Meeting Report of the Content Architecture Task Group (CATG) --
            An Ad hoc group appointed by the Technical Liaison Committee (TLC)
            __________________________________________________________________



             Attendance included:

        1.  ODA SIG members

        2.  Carlton Neville, Neville Associates

        3.  J.  J.  Cinecoe, Boeing Corp.


             The CATG met to consider the need for  forming  a  new  SIG
        that   would   concern   itself  with  content  notations  (data
        descriptions such as CGM, PDES/STEP, T.4/.6  FAX,  Unicode/10646
        content, EDI, the CAs of ODA, etc.) and transforms (standardized
        methods such as content formatting/layout).  This SIG would deal
        with  content that is independent of document/data architectures
        and their interchange formats --  such  content  could  thus  be
        shared  by  more  than  one  such document/data architecture and
        processing  environment.   For  example,   a   CALS   SGML-based
        application  referencing  a CA-described content portion from an
        ODA  document.   Jon  Stewart  chaired  the  session   held   in
        conjunction with the ODA SIG for about 2 hours.

             The topics discussed were:

         o  Requirements for "independent" content architectures (CAs)

         o  Desirability  of  accessing  same  content  from   different
            architectures/processing environments

         o  Processing   parameters   for   standardized   methods   and
            characteristics   of  the  interface  between  document/data
            processing and content processing described  by  independent
            CAs

         o  Profile requirements for content objects

         o  Development  of  a  reference  model,  an  "ideal"   content
            architecture

         o  Alternative methods for advancing this work, including:

             -  continue as ODA SIG subgroup

             -  expand   scope   of   ODA    SIG    to    include    all
                document/data/content      description,      processing,
                interchange

                                                                Page 5


             -  form a separate CA SIG






             Recommendations:

         o  Although there is justification for a  separate  SIG,  there
            does  not  seem  to be enough interest/participation at this
            time to pursue it separately; the work in  the  ODA  SIG  is
            minimally  staffed  and  this  additional  CA  work must not
            interfere with normal ODA SIG activities.

         o  Additional participation is  required  --  request  to  NIST
            (Lynn    Rosenthal)    for    assistance   in   "recruiting"
            participation in this activity for CGM will be initiated.

         o  Work  will  begin  on   a   "model"   content   architecture
            description,  perhaps  based  on CGM and and ideal interface
            (not the current one) for ODA -- the required elements of  a
            content "header" (content profile?) will be explored as part
            of this work.

         o  Study will continue at the next OIW, hosted by the ODA  SIG,
            chaired by Jon Stewart.


                                                                Page 6




    ATTACHMENT E: Meeting Overview Slide,
                  Presented at OIW Plenary 12/18/92
    ________________________________________________

                           OIW ODA SIG REPORT

                          December 15-17, 1992

    10 attendees, plus 4 for the tutorial

    Highlights:
    -    Discussed Application Portability Profile (APP) reference to
         ODA and SGML.
    -    Discussed need for new SIG for content architectures,
         recommendations will be available.
    -    Approved changes to Parts 22 and 23.
    -    Moved Parts 16 and 17 to stable.
    -    Proposed a new Part 27 for migration DAP from FOD26 to FOD36.

    Technical Activities:

    * Image application subgroup:
         -    Approved a technical change to Part 23 (ODA Raster DAP)
              to remove clipping as a document profile default option.
         -    Approved actions on Part 22 (ODA Image DAP) as follows:
                   Moved Working Agreements to Stable Agreements,
                   Incorporated same technical change that was made to
                        Part 23,
                   Made editorial changes for consistency of attribute
                        names and clause titles.
         -    Prepared liaison statements to SGFS, AOW, EWOS, DoD, and
              AIIM concerning changes to the DAPs and harmonization of
              pDISPs.

    * Text processing subgroup:
         -    Moved Level 2 DAP (Part 16) from working to stable.
         -    Moved level 3 DAP (Part 17) from working to stable.
         -    Proposed creation of migration DAP from FOD26 to FOD36.
         -    Reviewed outputs from PAGODA #12.

    * Interoperability subgroup:
         -    Reviewed testing methodology - Technical report
              available from OSINET.
         -    Reported status to OSINET TC.
         -    Discussed relationship to ISR and ATC.

    Future Meetings:
         OIW ODA SIG - Gaithersburg, MD 3/9/93 - 3/11/93
         PAGODA #13 - Germany, 5/10/93


                                                                Page 7



        ATTACHMENT E: Comments on the NIST APP re ODA and SGML Usage
        ____________________________________________________________


             The ODA SIG endorses the comments (given below) of  Carlton
        Neville  (Neville and Associates) regarding the NIST Application
        Portability Profile (APP)  references  to  SGML  and  ODA.   The
        essence of these comments is:

         o  ODA has much  wider  scope  of  application  than  would  be
            inferred from just the CALS use of the ODA raster DAP;

         o  SGML is NOT a "Page Markup  Language"  --  in  fact,  though
            usable to describe pages, SGML is typically used to describe
            logical structure, and markup documents that  conform  to  a
            defined logical structure (Document Type Definition);

         o  SGML requires  additional  specification  (by  user  of  the
            standard)  to  provide markup meaning/application semantics;
            and,

         o  BOTH ODA and SGML may be used for OPEN document interchange.




             The ODA SIG also recommends the following rewording:

        Replace PAGE 42, LINE 49-51 which reads:

        "Additionally ODA has been adopted for use by the Department  of
        Defense  for  inclusion  in  the  Computer-Aided Acquisition and
        Logistic  Support  (CALS)  initiative  for  encoding  of  raster
        images."

        with:

        "Additionally ODA has been adopted for encoding of tiled  raster
        images  by  the  Department  of  Defense  for  inclusion  in the
        Computer-Aided   Acquisition   and   Logistic   Support   (CALS)
        initiative, in MIL-R-28002B.




             Carlton Neville comments on the NIST APP are as follows:

        1.  PAGE 42, LINE 49-51 (ODA -- Level of Consensus)  While  this
            sentence  may  be  technically  correct,  it  can  be easily
            misunderstood.  CALS is using ODA in a very limited fashion.
            Other  examples  of  using ODA in a more general application
            should be included.

                                                                Page 8


        2.  PAGE 43, LINE 34 (SGML - Title) --  The  term  "Page  Markup
            Language"  is  not  a correct characterization of the use of
            SGML for documents.  In most SGML applications there will be
            no  pages identified in the SGML document.  The organization
            of SGML documents is normally in terms of logical  structure
            (e.g.,  chapters, sections, subsections) rather than in page
            layout  structure.   A  more  appropriate  title  would   be
            Document  Interchange,  the  same  title  employed  for  the
            previous  section  which  covered  ODA.    Note   that   the
            Applicability  section  for  ODA  (page 42, line 37) and the
            Applicability section for SGML (page 43, line 44)  are  both
            correctly  labeled  with  identical  words  "Interchange  of
            documents." Possibly ODA and SGML should be in  one  section
            titled  Document  Interchange  with each standard covered by
            its own subsection.  Then the applicability section for each
            standard could focus on the type of document interchange for
            which the standard is most appropriate.

        3.  PAGE 44, LINE 14-15 (SGML - Completeness) This  sentence  is
            only  partially  correct.   It  is  correct  that additional
            specifications are needed to determine the markup's  meaning
            but  this  information is not specified by EMPM or ODA.  The
            phrase "...  such as Electronic Manuscript  Preparation  and
            Markup  (EMPM)  or  ODA.."  should be omitted.  The sentence
            should  read  "Additional  specifications  are   needed   to
            determine the markup's meaning."




        ATTACHMENT G: Acronyms/Abbreviations:
        _____________________________________

          OIW    - OSE Implementors Workshops
          OSE    - Open Systems Environment
          EWOS   - European Workshop on Open Systems
          AOW    - Asian-Oceanic Workshop (for OSI)
          NIST   - US National Institute for Standards and Technology
          AIIM   - American Institute for Image Management
          PAGODA - Profile Alignment Group for ODA
          DAP    - Document Application Profile. Part 1 of the ISP.
          ISR    - Implementation Support Requirements  (Part 2 of the ISP)
          DIMR   - DAP Implementation Minimum Requirements
          ATC    - Abstract Test Case
          FOD11/Q111/PM11/T.502 - Level 1 DAP
          FOD26/Q112/PM26/T.505 - Level 2 DAP
          FOD36/Q113/PM36/T.506 - Level 3 DAP
          FOD112 - Image DAP
          FOD126 - Raster DAP
          ISP - International Standard Profile --
                Includes parts:  1) DAP;  2) ISR;  3) ATCs for (2)

                                                                Page 9



ATTACHMENT H: E-mail and Telephone/FAX Listing
______________________________________________

                  Telephone (US or Canada Unless + Indicated)
Name              Work          FAX          E-mail Address
_________________________________________________________________________

Jim Wing          817-962-4646  962-3480     jwwing@vnet.ibm.com
Frank Spielman    301-975-3257  590-0932     spielman@nist.gov
Jon Stewart       603-881-0447  881-0120     stewart@ddif.enet.dec.com
Pat Stephens      +353-91-51271 91-54444     stephens@galvia.enet.dec.com
Dan Wu            703-487-8409               dwu@dgis.dtic.dla.mil
Carlton Neville   703-620-5000
Annette Shuford   301-227-1618               shuford@oasys.dt.navy.mil
Christian Kunz    510-748-6850
Joanna Vanderwilt 206-939-1179               71027.2765@compuserv.com
Rick Pond         416-448-3222  448-4414     pond@torolab2.vnet.ibm.com
Alan Peltzman     703-487-8409  487-8342     peltzmaa@cc.ims.disa.mil
Paul Pedersen                                pedersen@mqou16.enet.dec.com
_________________________________________________________________________
  •   Jim Wing (J W)