Re: [OFF-PATH-BOF] SIP, naming, APIs and control

Teemu Koponen <koponen@ICSI.Berkeley.EDU> Thu, 13 July 2006 18:59 UTC

From: Teemu Koponen <koponen@ICSI.Berkeley.EDU>
Subject: Re: [OFF-PATH-BOF] SIP, naming, APIs and control
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 11:59:38 -0700
To: Melinda Shore <mshore@cisco.com>
Cc: off-path-bof@ietf.org

On Jul 13, 2006, at 11:12, Melinda Shore wrote:

> When I first brought the proposal for on-path middlebox communication
> to the IETF I described it as "topology insensitive," and I think
> that's
> still the desired outcome.  However, what we've found over the past
> few years is that on-path middlebox signaling is nearly impossible
> to deploy
> in all but the most constrained networks.

I believe everyone agrees on this; requiring middleboxes to be on the
path complicates deployment. However, when questioning the point of
decoupling signaling and data paths, I all the time assumed this
combined data and signaling path to be different from a path routers
give you. Is this what you mean or do you opt for three different
paths: a router given, signaling, and data path?

> control/request/communications but not how to solve the extremely
> difficult problems introduced by even modest topological complexity.

Could you elaborate these difficult problems?

Teemu