[OFF-PATH-BOF] SIP, naming, APIs and control

Teemu Koponen <koponen@ICSI.Berkeley.EDU> Thu, 13 July 2006 17:35 UTC

To: off-path-bof@ietf.org
From: Teemu Koponen <koponen@ICSI.Berkeley.EDU>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 10:35:02 -0700
Subject: [OFF-PATH-BOF] SIP, naming, APIs and control

Thanks for a very interesting BoF, Paul, Mark and Saikat.  There's
definitely ongoing work in this area elsewhere too. :) Here's my
unstructured initial stake on the matter.

I have to say that I was more than slightly concerned about the
proposed content before hearing the presentations. It seemed that the
called approach would not be a "clean-slate" one but a more
engineering oriented effort. Especially,

o) The promotion of SIP was concerning. I tend to see the current SIP
as a rather complex beast indeed. While it does have certain
attractive primitives built-in (e.g., delegation to impose off-path
middleboxes), I would not like to remain fixed to SIP. In the end, I
believe something more simple can meet the requirements. Fortunately,
SIP was less emphasized in the presentions themselves than in the
call.

o) Mixing the needs to persistently identify an end-point for machines
and for users was distracting.  I do not think hierarchical names
should remain the sole option to consider. Flat names are rather
attractive option indeed to identify end-points for machines. In fact,
I think one should support both.

"Newsock" was mentioned, but I was somewhat confused when the focus
was in the API and when in the protocol.  I feel that explicitly
considering the API first would enforce us to think the requirements
before moving down to the protocol level issues. Moreover, I could
imagine an outcome where applications could use multiple "offpath
protocols" through the same API.

The fundamental aspect I still do not understand is that how the
decoupling of signaling and data paths helps at all. It strikes to be
problem roaming only for me. (I think Bob Briscoe asked this without
getting a decent answer.) I'm not sure whether I heard the word in
some comment, but I think the group name misses a single word:
control. This all is about getting the control back to the end-points
and not that much about decoupling the paths.

Teemu