Re: [ogpx] VWRAP working group charter update

Joshua Bell <josh@lindenlab.com> Thu, 24 September 2009 21:58 UTC

Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 14:59:11 -0700
From: Joshua Bell <josh@lindenlab.com>
To: Kari Lippert <kari.lippert@gmail.com>, Ann Otoole <missannotoole@yahoo.com>, barryleiba@computer.org, ogpx <ogpx@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [ogpx] VWRAP working group charter update

Random thoughts:

I would see one of the primary benefits of having a session in Hiroshima as
reaching out to Pacific Rim attendees who may not have participated in MMOX
or OGPX discussions but are interested in the problem space but were unable
to attend the Stockholm meeting. At this point we can pretty clearly
articulate the problem space including the expected components of the
protocol suite, so getting others on board should be more feasible.

A discussion that might benefit from F2F discussion would be "drive by"
attendance from IETF peeps who could advocate for non-HTTP protocol usage in
places within VWRAP where HTTP is not a shoe-in (i.e. object transport,
bidirectional messaging, session initiation, etc.). Even where not ideal,
tunneling everything over HTTP/port 80 has so many benefits for uptake, and
hearing from implementers of other protocols on how they overcame challenges
(or gave up and tunneled over HTTP!) would be extremely useful. That said,
it's hard to arrange for that sort of attendance.