Re: [ogpx] verbiage : domain, agent domain, region domain, trust domain, service, etc.

David W Levine <dwl@us.ibm.com> Tue, 30 March 2010 01:07 UTC

To: Meadhbh Hamrick <ohmeadhbh@gmail.com>
From: David W Levine <dwl@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 21:07:41 -0400
Cc: ogpx-bounces@ietf.org, ogpx <ogpx@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [ogpx] verbiage : domain, agent domain, region domain, trust domain, service, etc.

At the point where you are describing an "Authentication and Login Domain"
"Asset Domain" "Inventory Domain" "IM Domain" you are effectively binding
domain to type of service offered.

The whole reason I an pushing back so hard on "Agent Domain" is because it
conflates a specific deployment pattern with something special, and uses
an already overloaded term. I think a perfectly rational and sane use of
the term would be to follow common IT and Distributed computing practices,
such as "Trust Domain" and "Administrative Domain" as well is "IP domain"
This would allow us to write statements like:

"In this grid, the Login, IM, Presence, Inventory, Group, Search and
Teleport Services live within a single trust domain. The Regions supported
by this grid fall into separate administrative and trust domains. This
grid access a variety of asset and micro-payment services all of which are
outside both our trust and administrative domain."

One of the pain points introduced by binding ANY grouping of services into
the term "domain" at the architectural level is that is implies that this
specific deployment pattern is privileged within the specifications. The
closest that I come to thinking that really exists in VWRAP is the cluster
of services required to support a region. Even here, tho, the pattern, as
a web pattern, is mostly that of a facade, and the underlying deployment
of services which actually comprise any specific region may well be
separated across trust and administrative domains. A rather obvious
example being the voice services in the second life grid which are
delegated to Vivox, crossing several "domain" boundaries.

If we believe there are privileged groupings of services which must be
clustered and cannot be facaded or separately deployed from other services
lets enumerate them and understand why they are clustered.

- David
~ Zha