Re: [Omcast] Microsoft ConferenceXP

Mark Pullen <mpullen@netlab.gmu.edu> Thu, 29 September 2005 01:52 UTC

Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 21:52:24 -0400
From: Mark Pullen <mpullen@netlab.gmu.edu>
To: Marshall Eubanks <tme@multicasttech.com>
Subject: Re: [Omcast] Microsoft ConferenceXP
Cc: omcast@ietf.org
Sender: omcast-bounces@ietf.org

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005, Marshall Eubanks wrote:

> Is ConferenceXP related to the OMCast goals ?
>
> http://www.conferencexp.net/community/Default.aspx?tabindex=12&tabid=22
>
> ConferenceXP employs a peer-to-peer architecture. Because no server is involved, this architecture
> makes deployment easy, and it prevents network traffic bottlenecks and single points of failure.
> This architecture uses multicast to ensure efficiency and scaling for multipoint video conferencing
> over a broadband network, as well as for sharing documents and ink over a 802.11b wireless network.
> It also supports point-to-point unicast for environments where multicast is unavailable.

Yes, I would say this is related to OMcast goals. I would prefer that
the interface to the application be an open one - ours is plain
IP multicast, which is about as open as you can get. Although the
ConferenceXP interface is an API that looks to be proprietary from
what I see on the webpage, they must have a group communications
service lower in their architecture and they might be interested
in defining a common standard. In any event I believe it would be
a bad idea to rule out the possibility before learning what interests
they may have.

> There is also
>
> Inter-Partition Networking for Overlay Multicast
> Sauleh Eetemadi
> Michigan State University
>
> http://www.conferencexp.net/community/library/papers/InternPartitionNetworking.pdf

As I read the abstract, this is an analytical treatment of an important
part of the problem that we have been working on at GMU. Because we are
experimentalists, we have implemented a working prototype and have people
interested in using it; but this thesis appears to be an important
contribution to the theoretical basis of routing in overlay networks. So
yes it definitely fits and thats for pointing it out.

Mark