Re: Resolving multiple primary user IDs and self-signatures

Florian Weimer <Florian.Weimer@RUS.Uni-Stuttgart.DE> Mon, 27 August 2001 13:55 UTC

To: ietf-openpgp@imc.org
Subject: Re: Resolving multiple primary user IDs and self-signatures
From: Florian Weimer <Florian.Weimer@RUS.Uni-Stuttgart.DE>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 15:36:52 +0200
Sender: owner-ietf-openpgp@mail.imc.org

David Shaw <dshaw@akamai.com> writes:

[RFC 2440 et al. as mere syntax]

> True, and it even says that in the Abstract.  There is an exception
> made for security issues: "It does not deal with storage and
> implementation questions.  It does, however, discuss implementation
> issues necessary to avoid security flaws."

I think it limits itself to security flaws which directly break the
cryptographic algorithms involved.  Flaws at a higher level are not
discussed.

> Offhand, I can't think of a security implication to having multiple
> UIDs marked primary (though I'm sure someone here can).  My concern is
> with the security implications of having multiple conflicting
> self-signatures.  Without some suggested way to resolve the conflict,
> there can be security implications.  If it is truly a security issue,
> then it is appropriate in 2440bis.  (Obviously, I think it's enough of
> a security issue to mention - I'd like to hear what others think.)

Differences in interpretation of expiration times can have security
implications, too. ;-)

> > On the other hand, If such additions are accepted, I've got a long
> > list of them...
>
> Care to work on a "Implementation Suggestions for OpenPGP" with me?

Yes, details will follow in private mail.

--
Florian Weimer 	                  Florian.Weimer@RUS.Uni-Stuttgart.DE
University of Stuttgart           http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/