ASN.1 OID for TIGER/192

David Shaw <dshaw@jabberwocky.com> Fri, 27 September 2002 13:05 UTC

Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 08:55:50 -0400
From: David Shaw <dshaw@jabberwocky.com>
To: ietf-openpgp@imc.org
Subject: ASN.1 OID for TIGER/192
Sender: owner-ietf-openpgp@mail.imc.org

Hello,

In 2440 and in all the 2440bis drafts, the TIGER/192 hash is not fully
usable as it has no OID.  Werner Koch and I, with the cooperation of
TIGER's authors, recently arranged an OID for it:

	1.3.6.1.4.1.11591.12.2

It would be good to put this in 2440bis so TIGER will be usable.

I have a sneaking suspicion that this may raise the question whether
TIGER should be in the standard at all, as so long as it did not have
an OID, the question was moot.  I have no strong feelings on this
point, but if we are not going to allow the use of TIGER, then perhaps
we should remove it from the standard altogether or explicitly
disallow its use as the current halfway state is confusing now that
there is an OID available.

David