Re: Recipient-verifiable messages

Jon Callas <jon@callas.org> Thu, 11 April 2002 22:58 UTC

Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 15:42:02 -0700
To: Hal Finney <hal@finney.org>, ietf-openpgp@imc.org
From: Jon Callas <jon@callas.org>
Subject: Re: Recipient-verifiable messages
Sender: owner-ietf-openpgp@mail.imc.org

>David Chaum has a patent on a variation on this idea, and he gave a talk
>at PGP several years ago in which he advocated that recipient-verifiable
>signatures are very useful, and in fact ought to be the default for
>an email encryption system like PGP.  As others in this thread have
>commented, often you don't want to sign something such that you can
>be bound by it later, but you do want to assure the recipient that the
>message is authentic.  Only rarely do you want to make a signature that
>anyone can read.
>
>Unfortunately I think that adding a new flavor of signature would tend
>to create confusion among users who at best barely understand public
>key cryptography.  The new kind of signature would have very different
>security properties and usage scenarios, so it would add additional
>complexity for people to deal with.

Could we do something both simple and useful, however?

For example, if I send a message to Alice, the signature could be made
safely as a combo of my key and Alice's key. It would not be a
misrepresentation in Alice's MUA for it to assume I signed it. You'd have
to be careful in the UI, but I think it could be done. It might be able to
be extended to multiple recipients, but with two it might be an easy
hand-wave.

	Jon