Re: [openpgp] Followup on fingerprints

Werner Koch <wk@gnupg.org> Wed, 29 July 2015 15:24 UTC

From: Werner Koch <wk@gnupg.org>
To: Phillip Hallam-Baker <phill@hallambaker.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 17:06:45 +0200
Cc: IETF OpenPGP <openpgp@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [openpgp] Followup on fingerprints

On Wed, 29 Jul 2015 16:31, phill@hallambaker.com said:

> On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 4:37 AM, Werner Koch <wk@gnupg.org> wrote:

>> OpenPGP does not specify a user interface but the wire format.
>> Obviously we use the most compact format there which is the plain binary
>> format.  The questions are
>>

> That is how we used to work in the 1990s. Since then we have had to do
> internationalization and such.

I can't see what internationalization has to do with the binary
representation of a fingerprint.  As I said RFC-4880 is about the wire
format and not about user interfaces: It tells how to compute a
fingerprint and that it is the 16 octet MD5 hash or the 20 octet SHA-1
hash.  Now that a fingerprint is printed like this

pub   dsa2048/F2AD85AC1E42B367 2007-12-31 [expires: 2018-12-31]
      Key fingerprint = 8061 5870 F5BA D690 3336  86D0 F2AD 85AC 1E42 B367

is the choice of the concrete implementation.  It is an interesting idea
to have a common way of representing fingerprints to the user or in an
URL but that is not in the scope of RFC-4800bis.

> Yes, totally. I am suggesting we put code points in for the SHA-2-512
> digest and the SHA-3-512 digest.

Until now we have bound the format of the fingerprint to the version of
the public key format.  The fingerprint for OpenPGP is a well defined
and internally used property of OpenPGP.  This avoids multiple
fingerprints as we see with X.509 which does not have a specification
for a fingerprint at all.

> My preference is to just truncate and use the inferred length. That allows

By truncation I mean an arbitary truncation like what we do with keyids.
Those 64 keyids are for example used to locally lookup the secret keys
for decryption - there is no need to have security here because it is
just a convenience method (cf. wild card keyids)

> This is the 'domain separation' issue that was mentioned in the meeting.
>
> I believe that we have to be able to revise the algorithm used to revise
> the fingerprint and the format of the data being formatted independently.

Again, OpenPGP does not specify how to format a fingerprint.  That is
and should stay out of scope for _this_ RFC but may be an additional
item for the WG.

> sufficient would be if a completely radical change to the format was being
> considered such as moving all the structures to YANG, CBOR, JSON or JSON-B.

The OpenPGP format is the OpenPGP format and not BER, PER, XML, or JSON.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner