Re: secure sign & encrypt

Derek Atkins <derek@ihtfp.com> Tue, 21 May 2002 14:49 UTC

To: vedaal <vedaal@hotmail.com>
Cc: ietf-openpgp@imc.org
From: Derek Atkins <derek@ihtfp.com>
Subject: Re: secure sign & encrypt
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 10:33:31 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-openpgp@mail.imc.org

sorry, vedaal, but you are incorrect.  With current OpenPGP is _IS_
possible to strip off the encryption from a message and re-encrypt it
to another user, keeping the signature intact.  In fact, back in the
early 90's (and mid-90's when we were first designing the pre-OpenPGP
packets), this was in fact a design goal!

Remember that a signed/encrypted message looks like:

        ESK{PubA, K} ... Enc{K, PreSig{Hash{M}}, Lit{M}, PostSig{Hash{M}}}

Given this format, you can easily replace the K in ESK{} and Enc{}
without destroying the Presig,Literal,PostSig packets.

Now, it may be that the current _implementations_ do not make it easy
for a user to do so, but that is an implementation detail, not a
protocol detail.  The protocol could allow you to do so.

-derek

--
       Derek Atkins
       derek@ihtfp.com             www.ihtfp.com