RE: [Cfrg] OpenPGP security analysis

"Hal Finney" <hal@finney.org> Wed, 18 September 2002 21:50 UTC

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 14:40:50 -0700
From: Hal Finney <hal@finney.org>
To: cfrg@ietf.org, daw@cs.berkeley.edu, ietf-openpgp@imc.org, mwy-opgp97@the-youngs.org, Tperrin@sigaba.com
Subject: RE: [Cfrg] OpenPGP security analysis
Sender: owner-ietf-openpgp@mail.imc.org

Here's something important.  The latest version of the OpenPGP-bis draft
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-openpgp-rfc2440bis-06.txt
has got an error with regard to the MDC feature.  In section 5.13 it
says,

   The plaintext of the data to be encrypted is passed through the
   SHA-1 hash function, and the result of the hash is appended to the
   plaintext in a Modification Detection Code packet.  Specifically,
   the input to the hash function does not include the prefix data
   described above;

This is wrong; the input to the hash function DOES include the prefix
data.  This is how it is implemented in the commercial PGP version 7.X
(which only reads but does not yet create this packet), and in GnuPG,
which can both create and read it.  I checked interoperability on this
feature with Werner Koch a long time ago and we are both doing it the
same way.  I also just downloaded GPG and looked at the code to make
sure, and it does hash the prefix.

The error is repeated a couple of paragraphs later,

   During decryption, the plaintext data should be hashed with SHA-1,
   not including the prefix data

The reason this is important is that it can help to prevent these attacks
which involve controlled modification to the plaintext.  Since the hash
includes the block of prefix data, which is hidden to the attacker,
he cannot predict what the hash is before his modifications, even if he
knows the entire message; and nor can he predict what the hash should be
after modification.  So he can't do as Trevor Perrin describes below,
rearranging blocks, or XORing data into an existing message, and then
compensating for his changes by XORing an appropriate value into the hash.

Guessing the prefix block will only have success 2^128 for the AES and
Twofish ciphers where we mostly use the MDC, or 2^64 for the older ciphers
if it is used there.  In either case this is a very low chance of success.

We should correct the draft to accurately reflect the behavior of the
implementations in the field.  Hashing the prefix data improves the strength
of the MDC construction so it is important for security.

Hal Finney
NAI.com