Re: [openpgp] Remove email metadata by encrypting headers using the published DKIM key

Tobias Mueller <tobi@cryptobit.ch> Thu, 23 June 2022 08:46 UTC

From: Tobias Mueller <tobi@cryptobit.ch>
To: Kai Engert <kaie@kuix.de>
Cc: openpgp@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2022 10:45:59 +0200
Subject: Re: [openpgp] Remove email metadata by encrypting headers using the published DKIM key

Hi Kai,

interesting idea.

I'd be concerned about the use of the same key for both signing and
encryption.

I guess the changes your idea brings are big enough to warrant a
separate DKIM-like mechanism, maybe a "DomainKeys Encrypted Mail" (DKEM)
that works about the same as DKIM.

Compared to DKIM, though, the recipient server cannot process mails when
the key is not available (or a wrong key is used) which seems like a
rather big obstacle.

Also, I guess, using HTTPS is considered to be more popular than using
DNSSEC for distributing such information. So you could envision
something like MTA-STS.

Best,
  Tobi