RE: Comments on ECC draft

"Jivsov, Andrey" <Andrey_Jivsov@NAI.com> Wed, 03 October 2001 18:45 UTC

From: "Jivsov, Andrey" <Andrey_Jivsov@NAI.com>
To: "'moeller@cdc.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de'" <moeller@cdc.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>, hal@finney.org
Cc: Dominikus.Scherkl@biodata.com, ietf-openpgp@imc.org
Subject: RE: Comments on ECC draft
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 13:24:36 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-openpgp@mail.imc.org

US patents 5,159,632, 5,463,690 and 5,271,061 "Method and apparatus for
public key exchange in a cryptographic system" cover 2^m-C prime field with
NeXT as an assignee. While there are some patents with J. Solinas as an
inventor and NSA as an assignee covering Koblitz curves, there are no
similar patents for the 2^m-C.

The 1999 paper "Generalized Mersenne Numbers" by J. Solinas has
abovementioned patent 5,159,632 in a reference section. This paper describes
primes in the form 2^m+B_n+...+B_0 instead, where B_n+...+B_0=C is not small
(applicable to NIST curves). Therefore, group types 1 and 2 from the draft
can only be used to describe patented fields.

In contrast with Mersenne prime fields, binary fields were around for a long
time, patent-free for software implementation, sufficiently fast for
software and superior for hardware implementations, allow Koblitz curve
optimizations and are the only current choice for IKE ECC DH groups.