Re: [OPSAWG] network telemetry framework

Haoyu song <haoyu.song@huawei.com> Mon, 02 April 2018 21:32 UTC

From: Haoyu song <haoyu.song@huawei.com>
To: Joe Clarke <jclarke@cisco.com>, opsawg <opsawg@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2018 21:32:00 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.209.217.150]
Subject: Re: [OPSAWG] network telemetry framework

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the comment!
Yes it's clear our first step would be to set up the common taxonomy in this area and help people to understand the status quo as well as the technical gaps.

We do believe there are something unique to IBN/IDN in terms of the network telemetry. We have heard people expressed the desire to
1) normalize the data collection means
2) be able to interactively refine the data collection
3) be able to collect customized data on the on-demand basis
4) be able to directly collect data from the data plane forwarding path

Some existing work shows the potentials to meet some of the requirements, but I feel we are still far from that.
So I think this document at least can partially serve the purpose to clear the path.

We welcome collaborations on this topic because we believe this work needs the contributions from the entire community.

Best,
Haoyu