Re: [OPSAWG] 答复: Rtgdir early review of draft-ietf-opsawg-ipfix-bgp-community-06

"Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com> Mon, 16 April 2018 03:42 UTC

To: Aijun Wang <wangaijun@tsinghua.org.cn>
Cc: rtg-dir@ietf.org, draft-ietf-opsawg-ipfix-bgp-community.all@ietf.org, ietf@ietf.org, opsawg@ietf.org, gen-art@ietf.org
From: "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2018 23:42:07 -0400
Subject: Re: [OPSAWG] 答复: Rtgdir early review of draft-ietf-opsawg-ipfix-bgp-community-06

There seem to be two separate issues.

The first issue is what information from BGP would one like to correlate
with the traffic flows.  I understand that there is useful information.
The motivation given in the draft seems to apply to more cases than I
thought, but still it is of limited applicability.

More importantly is the question of whether the proposed method is the
right way to get the information.  As the draft acknowledges, there are
other ways to get the information.  Ways that do not need new router
software much less modifications of the fast path.
There is an argument in the draft about timeliness.  At least for the
use case document in the draft, that argument does not hold water.

Yours,
Joel