[OPSAWG] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-opsawg-model-automation-framework-07: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Mon, 19 October 2020 12:45 UTC

From: Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-opsawg-model-automation-framework@ietf.org, opsawg-chairs@ietf.org, opsawg@ietf.org, Adrian Farrel <adrian@olddog.co.uk>, adrian@olddog.co.uk
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2020 05:45:52 -0700
Subject: [OPSAWG] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-opsawg-model-automation-framework-07: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-opsawg-model-automation-framework-07: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-model-automation-framework/

COMMENT:

Thank you for the work put into this document.

Please find below a couple of non-blocking COMMENT points and nits. I hope that
this helps to improve the document,

Regards,

-éric

== COMMENTS ==

A generic comment: it hurts my eyes to see several occurrences of "NAT" as a
service in an IETF document in 2020...

Should there be a reference to
draft-claise-opsawg-service-assurance-architecture (albeit not yet an adopted
document) ?

There are a lot of detailed service creations with a good decomposition of all
the required steps; but, little is written on the importance of YANG models (as
opposed to any standard data exchange), so, the current title seems a little
misleading.

-- Abstract --
To be honest, I fail to understand why data models can be used to 'derive'
configuration information. Did the authors mean 'describe' or 'specify' ?

Later "This document describes an architecture" while the title of this
document if "framework" ? Slight semantic difference ;-)

And later "accommodate modules that", is it 'YANG modules' or 'data models' ?

-- Section 4 --
The complex figure 4 would benefit from some textual introduction referring to
the subsections. Also, the meaning of the arrow would gain if specified. E.g.,
why "Service Diagnosis" does not have a loop back to optimization or assurance ?

-- Section 4.2.2 --
If not mistaken, this is the first appearance of the notation "<intended>". Do
the angle brackets have a specific meaning?

-- Section 4.2.3 --
Suggestion to use the figure 4 wording as the title esp. since the wording of
MDT is not really used in the sub-section.

-- Section 6 --
Is it required/useful to have the 'standard YANG security considerations" in
this document that does not contain any YANG module?

-- Section 10.1 --
Most of the references should probably be informational only.

== NITS ==

Generic nit, I found the use of capitalized "Service Model" or "Network Models"
a little disturbing.

-- Section 1 --
"how different layer YANG data models" is rather difficult to parse, suggest to
rephrase it.

-- Section 4.4 --
Is it "service decomposing" or "service decomposition" ?