Re: [OPSAWG] [Mud] Declaring something to be a controller in MUD

Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca> Wed, 26 June 2019 15:34 UTC

From: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>
To: Eliot Lear <lear@cisco.com>
cc: opsawg@ietf.org, mud@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2019 11:34:35 -0400
Subject: Re: [OPSAWG] [Mud] Declaring something to be a controller in MUD

Eliot Lear <lear@cisco.com> wrote:
    >>> In either case, right now the administrator has to manually know and
    >>> populate information, to say - some device 1.2.3.4 is a controller,
    >>> either for MUD URL https://example.com/mud <https://example.com/mud> or
    >>> a class http://example.com/mudclass1 <http://example.com/mudclass1>.
    >>> That can be laborious.  To assist, we are examining ways to have a
    >>> controller declare itself as a candidate controller.  That at least
    >>> provides a hint to the administrator that this particular device is
    >>> capable of serving in a particular role.
    >>
    >> I think that anything that requires administrator activity to be a fail for
    >> residential use.  It's too complex.

    > There will ALWAYS be a need for an administrator in the enterprise
    > case.  But maybe with the options above we can ease the consumer burden
    > over time.  In the consumer case, you might want an app for initial
    > device admission control anyway, no?  Can we not rely on that
    > interaction as an approval step in this instance?

I think we'd all like to have a generic app (with an RFC standard API) that
can onboard any device and can do admission control for any controller.
I think this is what you are saying as well.

    >>> One possibility to address this is to incorporate the new RESTful
    >>> endpoint into an ANIMA BRSKI join registrar, which may already be
    >>> exposed.  But that requires that ANIMA BRSKI be in play, which it may
    >>> not.

    >> It is, however, a really good idea for the case where it is in play.
    >>
    >>> My thinking is that we do this work in two stages.  First handle the
    >>> easy case, which is the MUD file extension, and then figure out how to
    >>> do the app version of this.
    >>
    >>> Thoughts?
    >>
    >> yes.
    >>

    > Was that “yes” to the two stage approach?

"Yes"   :-)

Eliot Lear <lear@cisco.com> wrote:
    >> 1) insist that to user the my-controller connections that the two devices
    >> have to be signed by the "same" entity.  ["same" could mean literal the
    >> same key, the same certificate Issuer/DN,  or something more complex]
    >>
    >> 2) we could have devices declare in an MUD extension the
    >> DN/certificate/entity which must sign their controller device.
    >>
    >> 3) (2) above, but with some level of indirection through some URL.

    > Another thought here:

    > We could provide a level of dereference for authorized controllers in
    > the device’s MUD file, in the form of a URL list that would look
    > something like:

    > {  [
    > “controller” : “controller-name"
    > “mud-urls” : [ some mud urls of valid controllers here ]
    > “include” : “https://levelofindirection.example.com” that points to a file that contains a JSON serialization of this grouping
    > }

yes, this is exactly what I was thinking about.

Would "mud-urls" / "include" be mutually exclusive?

 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-